Trailer for behind the KLX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I have been planning for years to build something along these lines but havnt got around to it, was for my 650.Not sure if the klx would have enuf grunt to pull it on the highway.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

It might have enough grunt especially if it had the 351 but I think the issue might be that it's a fairly light bike. The tail might end up wagging the dog.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM
1st Gear Member

My original idea came from seeing a utility side car in CL. I thought that would be cool on the KLX but then started wondering if a trailer would make more sense.

I don't have a huge yard so no need for a tractor. But we are landscaping everything right now and it would be neat to be able to hull stuff to the back etc. I don't think that it is very practical after looking at the options. I bet I could get a cheap beat up old sears riding mower and trailer for less than a KLX trailer set up.

Now the issue of being able to use the KLX on the road with a small trailer is still out there. Even small things would be nice at times.

The moto-mule above looks excellent. It looks like a spin off of the one I was thinking about trying to adapt the from the bicycle community the Bob Yak or Bob Ibex.

I am not too concerned about what Kawasaki says but certainly towing any weight any real distance would be not great on the KLX.

He gets a premium for the Moto mule as it is double the similar Bob Ibex. The biggest difference is the width of the axle connection and the wheel.

This would be a cool project if I had a welder. Hmm I have always wanted a welder.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:13 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Similar to the moto mule is the Trail Tail.
BTW, the owners manual states that our KLX is not suitable for towing trailers. That might just be CYA on the part of Kawi or ......
I wonder if all manuals state this...

Old 06-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toyotabuilder
this is my trailer lol
Ok we need to talk about that rig. I had a 1980 VW truck Diesel back in the early 90's that got 51 MPG, is that a Diesel? I've looked for them again because of the price of fuel, and they want 6 grand for them now!!!! I paid 700 for the one I had, I should have never sold it to my brother in law.....stupid brother in law blew it up. I guess I shouldn't complain, I paid 700, then an old man backed into it and ruined the front bumper and his insurance paid me 700, then I sold it for 700, so I guess it was a money maker.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I met up with a group to ride in Big Bend NP back in 2009. One of the guys had a small homebuilt tow-behind-the-bike trailer that he pulled for 600 miles behind his KLR650 to get to the park. In this pic, the trailer is in the background. It was decently light and not heavily loaded. He said every hill was a downshifting challenge and wind was an absolute killer. He was afraid he might do engine damage as hard as the bike was working. He said he'd never pull that trailer again with the KLR. Can't imagine how this would work with the KLX.

That single wheel bike trailer mentioned earlier is pretty neat, but I bet it costs as much or more as a single axle utility trailer that you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot. Buy a small single axle utility trailer and use it for a myriad of useful tasks instead of an overpriced rig like that single wheel setup.

Attached Thumbnails Trailer for behind the KLX?-grapevine-camp.jpg  

Last edited by TNC; 06-18-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 06-18-2012, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I met up with a group to ride in Big Bend NP back in 2009. One of the guys had a small homebuilt tow-behind-the-bike trailer that he pulled for 600 miles behind his KLR650 to get to the park. In this pic, the trailer is in the background. It was decently light and not heavily loaded. He said every hill was a downshifting challenge and wind was an absolute killer. He was afraid he might do engine damage as hard as the bike was working. He said he'd never pull that trailer again with the KLR. Can't imagine how this would work with the KLX.

That single wheel bike trailer mentioned earlier is pretty neat, but I bet it costs as much or more as a single axle utility trailer that you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot. Buy a small single axle utility trailer and use it for a myriad of useful tasks instead of an overpriced rig like that single wheel setup.
Really all you need is a setup that attaches to the axle as the one above. Then you can do whatever. I would not be doing anything more than a few miles of slow roads at most so a light trailer would work I think.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I saw several of the single-wheel units this weekend. The owners raved about them and I think one was being pulled by something smaller than a 500.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah its diesel and i get upwards of 65hwy and 50 city i have a mk2 gti 5 speed in it (wide raito) only filed it once last month 683mi to the tank and $45 to fill it makes the klx seem like it eats fuel lol i use it to get the bike around for the big highway time i don't think i've brike 50mph on the klx because of that truck lol

Old 06-19-2012, 04:05 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I'll give you 700 for it. Lol?

Quick Reply: Trailer for behind the KLX?