Trail Tools

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
On the box for the multi tool there are recommended max torque values so you don't break it. Honestly the tool is pretty solid so you'd know if your being a moron and it broke.

This is my Tusk fender pack, as you can tell the front fender is close to the head light so I might just throw this in my tank bag or back pack.

A spare tube, two tire irons, MP tool and my pump all fit with room to spare.

Very nice little tool kit! I think I will bring something like this along for my 2500 mile trip next summer.

Let us know what else you decide to add.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Any opinions on tire patches? Not sure if this is wishful thinking or actually a good idea but can you successfully patch a small leak with outpulling the wheel of the bike? Not ever having had to fix a flat on the trail yet I was thinking maybe half the tire could be popped off and part of the tube accessed to repair it. I'll still carry a spare tube for a pinch flat or total disaster leak.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I think it would be more work to partially pull a tube to try and find a hole. The tube I pulled from my adventure had two holes in it. It's enough fun to dismount and mount a tire while it's on the ground. I can't imagine trying to remount a tire while the rim is still on the bike. Gotta check youtube for that one.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

All depends on how sure you can be that whatever caused the flat isn't in there anymore and that there really is just the one hole. I'm with lotrat, take the wheel off, take the tube out. Wrestling a tire off the rim on the bike sounds like disaster waiting to happen.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Any opinions on tire patches? Not sure if this is wishful thinking or actually a good idea but can you successfully patch a small leak with outpulling the wheel of the bike? Not ever having had to fix a flat on the trail yet I was thinking maybe half the tire could be popped off and part of the tube accessed to repair it. I'll still carry a spare tube for a pinch flat or total disaster leak.
Yes it's totally possible, and not a bad idea at all. I just patched the front tube on my bike this way a month or so ago. If you know what you're doing, you can get a good repair done pretty quickly, without the hassle of pulling the wheel. Just like any repair, you do need to be sure the cause of the leak is eliminated.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I figure if it was something obvious like a nail from a burned pallet, really common out where I go, then I'd rock that tube until I really needed to change it. I guess as my experience grows I'll figure these things out.

As an update I bought a 4 inch 1/4 drive flexible extension and a small pen style magnet tool. As an auto tech for my profession I use them all the time. I figure if I do something in the sand or dirt I could locate it easier and they are great for snaking hard ware in and out of places speeding up repairs. Takes up minimal space, weighs nothing and if I don't like it I'll remove it. I'm on the hunt for a few sockets to complete my kit and a few stubby combination wrenches. All the Sears are a disaster around here so I might end up buying off the Snap On truck as my last resort.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

The magnet tool! That is a good idea. Can't tell you how many times I've fumbled a bolt down under the engine, only to be caught by the skid plate. Luckily it's always been in my buddies garage and he has a couple different magnet tools. My favorite is the flexible one, not too practical to carry on the bike, but the pen style, extending one would be good.

I got a fairly nice set of stubbies from Home Depot, supposedly with a lifetime gaurentee. I also bought some ratcheting flexible ones too. Not the best but they work.

Had to work on my car the other day and found all the tools I needed weren't in my toolbox...pulled the bike up next to the car and found all the tools I needed.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I ended up finding some individual sockets and wrenches at Home Depot. I got a 8, 10, 12 and 14 combos... not stubby though : / and an 8 and 14 1/4 drive sockets. Everything fits in the stock tool kit location with plenty of room for additions. The only thing that's separate is the tire stuff. I think this will complete my tool kit until I realize I'm missing something at some point.

I figure you can only fix so much out in the field and not knowing what will break I'd rather keep it light and simple. If I start carrying more then I'll never stop because you can always add "just one more thing". With that being said maybe I'll add/or start a new thread of my other gear I carry. My Camelback is my mini B.O.B. so I figure if I really broke down or FUBARed my bike I'll just go back to camp or where ever and get my Jeep. Even if it means hiking out or spending a night in the woods to get back.

More importantly it's good to have a plan. Know your surroundings and know which direction to head when help is needed or your having problems. Being able to hike out is nice but riding 120 miles from your base camp isn't out of the ordinary on my trips so being able to locate a road and hitch a ride is another option. I just try to go prepared. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I added wrenches for the front axle. Hard to fix a front flat with the stock kit. Impossible IIRC.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking Mini Morph rules

While washing the KLX today I noticed the rear tire was looking a bit flat on the bottom. Didn't notice any weird handling while out yesterday. Tire gauge didn't budge. There was still enough air to show that the core was leaking, took it out and cleaned it. Then I tested the recently purchased MiniMorph. Took a bit of pumping but basically no effort to get the 100/100-18 up to 21 psi. WAY WAY easier than using a bicycle pump where the head locks onto the valve stem (BTDT, arm almost fell off). That little hose makes all the difference just like on the bicycle pumps of days long past where there was a little hose in the handle that one had to screw onto the business end.
No regrets getting the MINI instead of the MOUNTAIN MORPH.

Quick Reply: Trail Tools