Trail Tools

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

So last weekend I got a flat out in the middle of nowhere. Tried that 10mm Kawasaki tool on the front axle clamp bolts and it split on the very first bolt. I was stuck. The factory tool kit also doesn't include a wrench to get the front axle nut off. 65 ft-lbs with a crescent wrench wasn't so fun either. 15 minutes later a pickup truck came by with a full tool kit... Phew. Once I changed my tube, i got to use my CO2 inflator. It did the trick, but I didn't realize that the CO2 froze the valve open until all the pressure was gone. My remaining CO2 cartridge only got me a few pounds of air. I rode the bike real slow for a few miles... and got another pinch flat. Rode the flat for a few more miles along the side of the highway until I got to a gas station. Rode the flat for a few more miles until I got to a gas station with an air compressor. Good times.
#1 - get real tools.
#2 - get all the tools to at least change the front and rear tires.
#3 - get a manual air pump.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

LOTRAT's post cont'd:
And when you buy new tires change them yourself at home using only your trail kit.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

ol'klx-er has a great point. It's a good way to refine your skills and tool kit. It's actually how my tool kit got so big...every time I worked on the bike, I'd add a tool or two that I didn't have, or replaced one from the stock crap with something better.
I think I could do most anything to the bike on the trail, except torque bolts properly and remove the CS sprocket.
Fortunately, it all fits in my Wolfman enduro tank bag, with room to spare for a sandwich. The bag is awesome! It currently weighs a ton and never moves when off road riding.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
ol'klx-er has a great point. It's a good way to refine your skills and tool kit. It's actually how my tool kit got so big...every time I worked on the bike, I'd add a tool or two that I didn't have, or replaced one from the stock crap with something better.
I think I could do most anything to the bike on the trail, except torque bolts properly and remove the CS sprocket.
Fortunately, it all fits in my Wolfman enduro tank bag, with room to spare for a sandwich. The bag is awesome! It currently weighs a ton and never moves when off road riding.
I agree with that whole adding a tool or two, its cool to see a collection grow

There is a way to torque accurately off road. Set up a shock bracelet and have someone watch the torque wrench. Get a painful shock evertime you torque to an imprecise value, eventually your body will remember exactly how tight 15 ft lbs is etc. Jk you didn't hear it from me

Old 10-05-2013, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Sears carries a nice set of metric sockets, 1/4" drive. I use t-bar. Hex drive to 1/4" drive adapter works nicely for hex & torx hardware. Tire irons with box ends for axles are nice but expensive. As mentioned earlier I strive to use this kit to perform all simple repairs and maintenance when at home.

That small tire pump sounds like a nice addition. I never trust those co2 carts.

Blew the fuse in middle of desert last season. I always carry bunch of those now. A length of nylon strap I carry got me a tow back to base camp.

I also carry a small 1st aid kit including cold packs, Advil, and prescription meds.

Compass and topo map not a bad idea.

Cash would be good - pay a good Samaritan to fix it for you.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought the Mini Morph today, I realize the Mountain Morph was suggested but this one is smaller and lighter but built the same. First thing I noticed is the construction is pretty decent.

Came with a nice mounting set up but I'm not sure I'm going to use it. The zip ties are beef and reusable.

Over all the pump is a nice set up. I haven't tried to inflate a completely flat tire but it raised my rear tire 1psi for every 10 pumps on average.

I'm going to fully deflate my tire tomorrow and see if this pump is up to the job. If it works reliably that's what I want, I'm going for ultra minimal supplies. Not sure how this is going to work out but we'll see where this leads me.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I gave it a try. I let all the air out and pumped up the tire from 0-22 psi. It took about 300 strokes, I picked the number randomly to see where I'd end up. 300 sounds crazy but honestly it went by in a breeze with minimal effort. I run about 18 psi on the street so this pump is more then capable. The pump got slightly warm so I hit it with a temp gun and it reached 103 degrees. Looks like this guy is totally up to the job in a bind. When I change my tire and have a completely empty tube I'll try again. I'd be curious to see how much more effort it will take to fill a completely flattened out tube to the 1 psi mark.

I was looking at the hose on the pump for the valve attachment and it unscrews. I was thinking perhaps you could blow through that to fill the large void in a fresh tube before pumping away to build pressure. That might keep the pump from getting uselessly hot in the beginning??? We'll see...I'll post up more after my other goodies get in next week.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Good review of the pump! Its very small and handy. I wonder how much larger the bigger pump is.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

This is all you need for a pump fast easy and light weight

Old 10-06-2013, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zippets
This is all you need for a pump fast easy and light weight

But its not infinite like a pump would be. What if you hve lots of flats or a leaky tube?

Quick Reply: Trail Tools