Trail Tech Vapor and sunlight.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Trail Tech Vapor and sunlight.

The instructions on the TrailTech Vapor say "Do not leave the main unit in direct sunlight when not riding." Have any of you had any issues with too much sun on your unit? I ride to work a lot and the bike sits out in the sun. I plan on making a little cover of some sort to try and keep the sun off of it. I googled it and didnt get much. I'm just wondering what the sun does to the LCD? Anybody know? Anybody have one give them trouble because of the sun?
Does anyone else cover theirs?
Thanks Dan

Old 04-21-2011, 06:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I didn't see that in the instructions...but will cover it now. Have seen other LCD screens on instruments left in the sun go bad. thanks Dan.
IDR

Old 04-21-2011, 02:22 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Dan, I saw that warning too. My Vapor has been on my KLX since '06, but the previous original owner kept the bike inside when not in use and so do I. I've used this bike outdoors in harsher conditions than the previous owner, so the unit is probably seeing more exposure. I did notice on my Colorado trip last August during an extremely rainy season, that mine started fogging up a bit. With the bike on a trailer and towing it around from riding area to riding area at some highway speeds, it finally got enough water to fog up a bit. Concerned about it, I made a cover out of a Westley's Bleche-Wite spray bottle that fits like a glove over the control head when not in use. I've been caught in the rain while riding the bike and haven't had an issue, but apparently car wash level dunkings may cause fogging. The light is another issue for LCD's, so I made this cover when the bike is parked, being towed, or sitting outside for longer periods.

Attached Thumbnails Trail Tech Vapor and sunlight.-vapor-cover.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 06:32 PM

I don't have any experience with the vapor but I have the endurance model on my XR and just a few minutes in direct sunlight makes the screen get dark and blotchy looking and it takes several hours for it to go back to normal.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Well dookie! I'll have to make something. I'm surprised they don't come with a little cover, or even sell them as an accessory. I was thinking of making a fabric type cover that fastened with Velcro, but maybe I should use something that would keep water out too. TNC your bottle soulution looks like it fits well, but if I did that I'd have to stow that cover somewhere while riding. I want to make something that is simple and easy to use , otherwise I won't end up using it.
Thanks for all the replies guys.
Dan

Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hondaxr650
I don't have any experience with the vapor but I have the endurance model on my XR and just a few minutes in direct sunlight makes the screen get dark and blotchy looking and it takes several hours for it to go back to normal.
I'd think the LCD issue would apply to both units, but that doesn't sound right on your screen. I'd call or e-mail Trail Tech and ask about that. Mine can sit in the direct sun and the screen doesn't react at all. I think the warning is for long term exposure like continually parking in the sun.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I got to wondering why prolonged sunlight affected the Vapor's LCD. Didn't find too much.

High Temperatures Affect the Display

Because LCD fluid must be easily excited by the spark of a printed circuit board, it is designed to quickly react to high temperatures. Just as the high temperature of the circuit spark causes the fluid to expand and interact with the reactive coating, high ambient temperatures also cause the fluid to expand and react. A calculator left in direct sunlight (where it absorbs ultraviolet radiation) or in a hot car (where the intense heat excites the LCD fluid) will likely display a black screen; this display is a result of the hot, excited LCD fluid expanding and interacting with the reactive coating across the entire display.

Cold Temperatures Also Affect the Display

While hot temperatures cause the LCD fluid to expand and react with the display coating, the opposite effect takes place after exposure to very cold ambient temperatures. Cold temperatures, like those experienced when the calculator is left in a car during a cold winter night or accidentally stored in a refrigerator, cause the LCD fluid to contract and respond more slowly to heat stimulus. When cold LCD fluid is exposed to a spark from the printed circuit board, it may take longer to expand and react with the display coating. After a few moments of use, though, the fluid tends to return to normal operation as it absorbs the user's body heat.

Read more: How Does Temperature Affect LCD Displays on Calculators? | eHow.com How Does Temperature Affect LCD Displays on Calculators? | eHow.com

Old 04-22-2011, 02:42 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I was amazed to see my Vapor work even in conditions like this last year in the La Sal mountains by Moab.

Attached Thumbnails Trail Tech Vapor and sunlight.-p1010014.jpg  
Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

TNC when are you going to moab?

Old 04-22-2011, 04:53 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Leaving next Tuesday morning.

Quick Reply: Trail Tech Vapor and sunlight.