Trail Tech Vapor

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Trail Tech Vapor

me too, i converted it to oz $ its $131 without freight. I sent them an email to find out how much the freight is

Old 08-03-2006, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

NoBrakes, what did you do with the stock speedometer cable and the stock speedometer gear in the RH-side front wheel hub? Did you find a way to make it look clean and tidy after removing it?

Old 08-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

Brian thanks a million for that report, very comprehensive just like the 300 kit report [sm=groupwave.gif]

What tyre do you have on the front of your bike these days and if its the 603 what size did you use to calibrate the Vapor?
I'm currently running the Kenda Trak Master II on the front and my Vapor wheel size is set to 2158 mm. With this setting, the reported speed matches right on with my GPS down to 1/10th of an MPH.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NavKLX

NoBrakes, what did you do with the stock speedometer cable and the stock speedometer gear in the RH-side front wheel hub? Did you find a way to make it look clean and tidy after removing it?
Since I don't plan on ever putting my stock gages back on, I retained the odometer end piece but seperated the cable from it and capped it off with a short piece of spare fuel line with some black RTV silicone filled in the top. This left about a 1 inch piece of black tubing capping off the speedometer cable fitting at the hub. If you foresee that you might want to reinstall the stock gages at some point, you can removed the entire cable easily, but that makes it a little harder to cap off at the hub. That was my original plan, but I ended up sacrificing the odometer cable to retain the cable's end piece which made it a whole lot easier to cap off. If you don't want to worry about capping it off, you can just leave the stock odometer cable in place and just zip tie it off up under your number plate. I chose not to do that in order clean up the cabling at the front end and remove any unnecessary cables. And, I don't ever envision putting my stock gages back on.

Of course, you don't even have to remove the stock gages if you don't want to - there is no conflict between having both the stock gages and the Vapor installed simultaneously.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks NoBrakes! As usual, your post was detailed and helpful. I'm guessing you're an engineer.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

G'day Brain,

can't see it in your pix where is your ignition switch? Can you take a couple of pix of the whole instrument / centre handlebar area? Thanks mate. The reason I ask is I want to know how to mount mine and it looks like the Vapor with the handlebar mount 022-TM may block the ignition switch.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:03 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

G'day Brain,

can't see it in your pix where is your ignition switch? Can you take a couple of pix of the whole instrument / centre handlebar area? Thanks mate. The reason I ask is I want to know how to mount mine and it looks like the Vapor with the handlebar mount 022-TM may block the ignition switch.
Ignition switch? That heavy thing? Mine, um, fell off. I replaced it with a toggle switch and routed the location down by the choke area behind the plastic.

But ... I don't think my vapor mounting location would have interfered with the ignition switch - at least it doesn't look like it would, but I installed my vapor long after I scrapped that switch.

However, the stock instruments are probably in the way of where I have the vapor. I didn't much care for the stock instruments so I just removed them and rely solely on the vapor which is smaller, lighter, less power hungry, more accurate, displays everything the stock intstruments did, and more. I used the power to the instrument cluster to power my vapor and my GPS. The stock instruments also had 4 2W bulbs that were on all the time so by pulling those that saves a few watts off the electrical system. I did save the neutral, high beam, blinker, and overtemp indicator bulbs which I remounted in a compact aluminum bracket which you can see to the left of the vapor. I still need to find some colored caps to cover them, though so they look a little raw the way the are.

The Trail Tech aluminum housing looks real nice and mounts to the bar mount. However, at $50 I thought it was a bit expensive so I must made my own little mount using a bit of angle aluminum and mounted it on the horizontal bar where the stock instruments used to mount. And since my stock instruments were pulled, I just tucked the vapor down below the front number plate for protection. From the front or side, you can't tell it's not stock. The Vapor does come with a small plastic handlebar mount that might work for you without having to resort to making something custom. Otherwise, the mount Trail Tech sells would be great if you can afford it.

Anyway, here are the photos - if you have any questions, just let me know.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks heaps Brian
I might have to use the supplied bracket maybe. I want to keep the ignition swith for security ( I commute on my bike a lot). I have removed all the headlight and speedo brackets as they weigh heaps so I am not sure how to mount the Vapor.

cheers

Garry

Old 08-19-2006, 05:28 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I know what you mean. I was this close to pulling my whole headlight bracket off. The wiring is pretty messy under there and the bracket, I think, is pretty cheap. You're new lights look pretty cool. I really like the Trail Tech HID race lights, but they are not street legal. So until I find a suitable replacement that I really like, I'll stick with the stock look.

http://www.trailtech.net/racelight.htm

Old 08-19-2006, 06:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure my new lights ain't legal either

Quick Reply: Trail Tech Vapor