Trail Tec Lights in the smoke.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kansas-klx
Your lights don't take too much away from the electrical/charging system, do they?

Forgive my question, but I'm not very familiar with motorcycle electrical systems. I do know that the KLX only has so much to give, though.

What year bike do you have?
Kansas-klx:
It looks like our charging system generally has some watts to spare and I don't recall anyone bumping up the stator output. Others have added large race lights (around 75+W) or heated suits (running at 50+W). Previous posts put the stator output at 150W or more, but I think that's with the engine running at a fairly good rpm. We have watts to spare...but they aren't unlimited!

The OP's lights, at 12W each x 2 on high, and he's running at the medium setting at 6W each, shouldn't put too much more load on the system. LED's are very energy efficient. I'm very interested to see how well they light up the range in the dark. My bike now has a Trail Tech X2 headlight which is a good improvement over stock for lighting up the trail, and it would be sweet to fix it so that it can run both lamps together (35W each x 2) because as it's wired now it's either one lamp or the other. Adding another 24W from the OP's lamps, if they push out far, would be nice for long evening trail rides, and improve safety (had someone pull right out in front of me on a recent ride home from work and extra lamps up front may have helped him see me).

Old 06-26-2011, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

There lots of overhead on the stator for those lights

Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry for the blow up it does make me angry when people assume things. Both kids have appropriate safety gear. But as of now the machines are limited to just over walking speeds. Of course no one asked or suggested just made smart *** comments. The lights have been on the bike for a few weeks wired directly off the key switch with no problems so probly far. I took originally purchased the lights for the increased visual impact. But they add quoted a bit of visibility. I like them.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:53 AM
1st Gear Member

People don't make those comments to be smart asses, they're trying to help.

No one is going to question your love for your kids. I'm sure you love them with everything you have; however, how could you live with yourself if something bad happened. I remember recently reading a story of a guy moving his bike from the driveway into the garage. Well, he fell and cracked his skull.

Accidents can happen at any speed and a simple fall can change a life forever. If you do everything you can, and something happens, you know that you did everything you could.

I'm not trying to berate you, I wish nothing less than years of safe riding for you and yours.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Nothing like riding bikes and quads with your kids...

Old 06-26-2011, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

My grandfather was killed riding one of those old Honda fifties, he said it was too small to get hurt on, he came of it and fractured his skull, no helmet.

Last edited by redbrd; 06-26-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Nine weeks ago today I went down and broke my collar bone and some ribs. I hit so hard I saw stars and broke my helmet. And I wasn't going fast. I was about to turn around on a slick double track and was probably doing less than 1 MPH.

Funny how we relate speed to injury. If I wasn't wearing my helmet, I probably would be dead. Ill NEVER get on my bikes without my helmet, even my mountain bike!

Zero MPH!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Thanks

Damn Biff! That looks painful! Its a tight line these days parents have to walk. The simple act of putting the kids on a powered vehicle of any kind puts them at risk. A risk that many would say equals child endangerment. But I enjoyed this hobby with my father and brothers when I was a kid and want very much for mine to have the same chances. In today's world of uber safety people want you to put your kids in a helmet period. I don't know about your kids but mine run all the time, at speeds in excess of 5mph most of that time. They also travel up and down stairs 50 times a day that's no exaggeration. Both of those activities have lead to more falls, hits, collisions, contusions, and general BOBOs than riding. So in order to keep myself out of the court system, and for peace on this great forum I will no longer post. Thanks to everyone on this site for your contributions I truly mean that. This site is a great resource.

Eddie