Torque wrench suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Torque wrench suggestions...

Evening all,

I am in need of a good torque wrench for all of my KLX wrenching and I was wondering what gear you all were using. What has worked and what hasn't?

I am looking for a unit that will nicely fit the bill in quality, size, and performance.

Talk to me about your tourquers!!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

3/8" drive should cover most applications for the KLX (1/4" drive will be too small.)

I have a nice Kincrome unit that works to just above 100 nm torque and as low as 6 nm torque. Has worked flawlessly for the last 24 months. Used with 1/2" and 1/4" step up and down adapter bits.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
3/8" drive should cover most applications for the KLX (1/4" drive will be too small.)

I have a nice Kincrome unit that works to just above 100 nm torque and as low as 6 nm torque. Has worked flawlessly for the last 24 months. Used with 1/2" and 1/4" step up and down adapter bits.

WestOz, did you pick up your Kincrome local or on the net?

Any more suggestions would be great!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Personally I use a beam style torque wrench.

The advantages:

Low price.

Metalurgical characteristics of steel will ot change thus no calibration needed.

No twisting to set.

No likelihood of overtightening by applying force after a click.

Far less likely to be damaged if dropped.

Not affected as much if exposed to moisture due to no moving parts.

Disadvantages:

You have to look at the needle to the dial, although I got a tip to mark the edge or back with a sharpie, which will wipe off, when viewing is difficult.

You don't hear a click.

Doesn't look as trick.

I guess I like simplicity when it duplicates the best. Most torque wrenches have accuracy of about +/-5% getting worse at lower ranges. Thus the reason to get an inch/pound torque wrench for a majority of your work.

In other words, don't be afraid of a beam style torque wrench if you can get a decent price on it.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Excellent pro-con

Originally Posted by klx678
Personally I use a beam style torque wrench.

The advantages:

Low price.

Metalurgical characteristics of steel will ot change thus no calibration needed.

No twisting to set.

No likelihood of overtightening by applying force after a click.

Far less likely to be damaged if dropped.

Not affected as much if exposed to moisture due to no moving parts.

Disadvantages:

You have to look at the needle to the dial, although I got a tip to mark the edge or back with a sharpie, which will wipe off, when viewing is difficult.

You don't hear a click.

Doesn't look as trick.

I guess I like simplicity when it duplicates the best. Most torque wrenches have accuracy of about +/-5% getting worse at lower ranges. Thus the reason to get an inch/pound torque wrench for a majority of your work.

In other words, don't be afraid of a beam style torque wrench if you can get a decent price on it.
I was thinking of posting that but too lazy to type that much. PLUS; usually by the time I type that much, when I go to post it my connection to the Interweb seems to have gone to parts unknown and the post just disappears.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:17 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

The Beam type does prove to be more accurate and they are fairly inexpensive.
The clickers are ok and work good too. The inch/pounds is my main go too 3/8 drive. It is a Craftsman. The Craftsman foot/lb is only ok. The locking collar tends to crack and Sears only has a 90 day guarantee on torque wrenches. The 3/8 kinchrome works well and likes to rust easily. (mine was from a garage sale). The Snap On 3/8 foot/lb wrench is nice and narrow. The lock works well and is easily adjusted. But is kinda pricey

So a beam style for $20 will do everything that you will need. But plan on getting two torque wrenches in 3/8 drive.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by therivermonster

Local, Kincrome is an AUS brand I think.

Someone mention rust? What's that? I live in WA.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought my Kinchrome 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches from this mob, got them for about the same price as the 1/2" locally. Check the specials and members lounge (once you have joined)

Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
The Beam type does prove to be more accurate and they are fairly inexpensive.
The clickers are ok and work good too. The inch/pounds is my main go too 3/8 drive. It is a Craftsman. The Craftsman foot/lb is only ok. The locking collar tends to crack and Sears only has a 90 day guarantee on torque wrenches. The 3/8 kinchrome works well and likes to rust easily. (mine was from a garage sale). The Snap On 3/8 foot/lb wrench is nice and narrow. The lock works well and is easily adjusted. But is kinda pricey

So a beam style for $20 will do everything that you will need. But plan on getting two torque wrenches in 3/8 drive.
Dragone: Why do you mention the need for two torque wrenches? Is it possibly one for inch pounds, and one for foot pounds?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Dragone: Why do you mention the need for two torque wrenches? Is it possibly one for inch pounds, and one for foot pounds?

yes, there are alot of fasteners that require inch pounds and most of the foot pound wrenches out there will not go that low of a setting. That and Kawi must be using grade 2 bolts or something. They stretch badly.

Quick Reply: Torque wrench suggestions...