Top end lubrication and cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Top end lubrication and cleaning

I've used Marvel mystery Oil for years in my vehicles. It's a gas and oil addative but I use it mostly in my fuel system. It's supposed to help keep fuel systems clean and lubed while also lubricating your upper cylinders and valves and reducing carbon deposits on valves and plugs.

Since our bikes have wet clutches we can't use many friction reducing crankcase oils. Marvel or other top end lubricants are introduced through the fuel system.

I know there are people who scoff at almost ALL additives and some are pure snake oil but that doesn't make them all bad

When I run MMO in my truck I swear it runs smoother. Maybe it's wishful thinking or the placebo effect but it's not expensive and upper cylinder lubrication can't be bad along with cleaner plugs and valves.

Has anybody tried any top end lube / cleaners like MMO??

Old 01-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default additives

As an auto mech for 30+ years I and any other mechanic will tell you that there is no substitute for for good quality oil changed on a regular basis, however there are people who swear by their additives sure some are snake oils. I was toying with the idea of trying a well known additive but was worried about the wet clutch issue so I emailed them a couple of times but got no responses, so screw them. If you can find out if your mmo is wet clutch compatible don't see any harm giving it a try. At worst your out a few bucks.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

The Marvel Mystery Oil can go in the gas or oil. I put it in my gas kinda like a 2 cycle oil mix. It cleans the upper cylinder, valves and plugs plus lubricates the upper cylinder walls and valves.

I'm going to start putting some in my gas tank and see how it works. When I use it in my other vehicles the engine just seems to run freer. I don't know if it cleaned anything but it never hurt.

There aren't many oil addatives I've ever tried that made any noticable difference. I did have an 8 cylinder van long ago that started really hard because of bad compression and I put 2 8cly cans of RESTORE in it with 3 qts of oil which left it about a qt low. I stared it and let it idle for over an hour and it improved the compression significantly.