Took the snorkel off

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Took the snorkel off

Just had Kawasaki do the 1000km service and asked them about the restricted snorkel on the airbox, they laughed and said you dont need it, so they took it off. Like all of the posts before this one Iam amazedat the difference it has made to the bike. Although its a bit louder now its worth it. Going through the rev range is now smooth as silk and the engine just sounds like it should and is obviously breathing alot better. I cant imagine what a better pipe and a 300cc big bore kit would do to the KLX............(One day). The KLX is definetly a beast waiting to be unleashed.
Cheers!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Took the snorkel off

Be alert for any kind of surging or sputtering that might indicate a lean condition. This bike isjetted very lean from the factory and that'sthe reasonfor the small snorkel opening.

I would probably bump-up the main and raise the need a notch just for good measure.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Guys,

When I got my klx, there was only an opening on top of the airbox lid, I assume this is where the snorkel would have been, I have never seen the snorkel, am I Correct?

Cheers
Chris.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 AM
1st Gear Member

If the snorkel is removed, you will see an oval shape hole in the airbox lid.

ORIGINAL: chris72a

Guys,

When I got my klx, there was only an opening on top of the airbox lid, I assume this is where the snorkel would have been, I have never seen the snorkel, am I Correct?

Cheers
Chris.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep, that's what i've got so I assume the dealer already discarded the snorkel.

Chris.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd reccomend leaving the snorkel on until you have the time to rejet the bike.

I took it off for a bit and ran into some overheating issues, so I replaced it till I could rejet.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

When you had the overheating issues from being lean would the red over-temp light come on?

Old 11-27-2007, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

i've never seen the red light, and i've run it in the mud a lot.... but, its also completly stock for the most part

Old 11-28-2007, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I live in the tropics and it gets very humid here in my area..........no troubles yet with temp with or without the snorkel. Most days at the moment are hot as hell with the occassional rain shower just to steam things up. I will post again if I have any issues with the airbox setup as it is now, but right now I'm just enjoying my new beast. I rarely ever need to go over the 7000 rpm range and mainly stay on 5 or 6k rpm when ever I'm riding so I'm definetly not over riding the KLX if anything I'm a pretty conservative rider. All in all shes starts up like normal first go and purrrrrrrrrs like a kitten when warmed up.

Cheers!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

When you had the overheating issues from being lean would the red over-temp light come on?
No, but it got hot enough to burn my legs.

I doubt it was enough heat to really destroy the engine, but it definitely was getting there.

Quick Reply: Took the snorkel off