Took a bikeless friend riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Took a bikeless friend riding

This past Sunday, I loaded up both my bikes into the truck and took one of my friends (Steve) riding. He used to have street bikes many years ago, and did a little dirtbiking as a kid. We went to a new place that opened up this spring called Thrashers Trails, it is about 20 minutes from my house. I can give more specific directions if anyone is in the area. There is over 100 acres there, and a very small MX track. It is still a work in progress, but much more open and smooth that where I normally ride. There are some wide trails aound the perimeter and cutting through the woods, and a lot of single track trails in the woods. There are some open rolling hills, and some powerline hills. There is also an open field where you can get your drag race on. They are open Fridays Saturdays and Sundays, 9 to 9, and it's 10 dollars a rider.

This was my third time there, my first time with the KLX, and my first time out riding with both bikes together. I managed to get everthing to fit in the back of the pickup truck with no assistance, it was a tight squeeze.

There were only brief sprinkles of rain. The outer more open trails were nice and dry, it was only slick on the woods trails. We mostly stuck to the dry trails. Steve started on the KLX to get used to riding again. He seemed to be doing ok, so we went to those open rolling hills in the middle, and he had no problems at all, kind of suprised me, I thought the hills might worry him first time through, but they didn't. After a while, I let him take the lead to see what kind of pace he could do, and he suprised me again, I had to ride faster than I thought I would have to to keep up with him. I got the urge to try the KLX, I never rode it at Thrashers before. I warned Steve about the hit of the KTM, and to keep some of his weight forward when hitting the gas hard. He did pretty well, no loopouts or wipeouts.

We kept swapping bikes back and forth, and did a lot of drag racing in the field. I beat him no matter which bike I was on, but he said he didn't give the KTM everything it had, still not totally used to the 2 stroke power. He did say that he gave the KLX everything it had, but it couldn't stay with the KTM.

The place was packed, there were trucks all along the perimeter of the parking lot, 2 deep in some places. I'd say it was about 65% ATVs. I did't go on the MX track, too many people using it. But I think he turned at least most of the jumps that were doubles into singles, it looked more friendly. Some girl that Stevel and I both know wanted us to get some pics and videos, so we went down to the powerline hills, it seemed less crowded there at the time, but as soon as he took out the camera and started taking pics, more people showed up, so I had to use some caution. I'l post 3 pics, and 5 short videos (10-12 seconds apiece).

Here is Steve standing between the 2 bikes at the bottom of the powerline hills.
Name:  thrashers6-14-09011.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  222.8 KB

Me with my horrific helmet hair
Name:  thrashers6-14-09012.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  213.4 KB
blurry
Name:  thrashers6-14-09005.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  236.3 KB

Here are the 5 video clips, I riding on all of them, Steve didn't want to be filmed riding.
http://www.vimeo.com/5159721
http://www.vimeo.com/5159975
http://www.vimeo.com/5160303
http://www.vimeo.com/5160886
http://www.vimeo.com/5174141

Old 06-16-2009, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

cool...looks like a fun place to ride...the power lines around here aren't so dry....lol

Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Awesome! What a good friend you are. I sure like the 4 stoke sound better than the 2 smoke.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mudjunkie
cool...looks like a fun place to ride...the power lines around here aren't so dry....lol
I sure it was muddy a few days before, we got lots of rain in the middle of the week. Things started drying out by Thursday afternoon. I wasn't getting nervous, because there were chances for rain throughout the weekend, but we got lucky, it hardly rained at all.

Originally Posted by deej
Awesome! What a good friend you are. I sure like the 4 stoke sound better than the 2 smoke.
Of course I had ulterior motives. Steve had been talking about getting a bike. After the ride, he said oh yeah, he's getting one. As a matter of fact, he was at the neighborhood bar last night with his laptop, checking out craigslist for a bike. I steered him away from the offbrands.

I figure the more people I can call up to go riding with, the better it is for me.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lostnite66
. I can give more specific directions if anyone is in the area.
I would appreciate directions. Or just an address. Always looking for a new place to ride. Couldn't find online. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

It is about 4 driveways up from the Greene County Career Center if you can google that. Iy is a long gravel driveway on the right, and you can see a parking area in the distance, there is a trailer there where you pay and buy concessions. From the Colombus area, take 70 West until you get to 675 South. Take exit 20 (Dayton-Yellow Springs Road). I come from the south, and you would be coming from north, so I think you would like thake a left onto Dayton-Yellow Springs Road. Go about 2 miles. You'll come to an intersection with a traffic light which has a sign for a cement factory or something, that's not where you want to turn right, keep going straight, the next traffic light after that is 235. Turn right onto 235. Keep going about a mile and a half until you get to Enon road. Take a left onto Enon Road. Soo you will see the Green County Career Center on your right. Once you get past that, you'll soon see the driveway for Thrashers on thre right.

If you decide to go there some day, pm me, if I don't have to work, I can meet you there. It's an easy trip for me.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:46 AM
1st Gear Member

It is about 4 driveways up from the Greene County Career Center if you can google that. Iy is a long gravel driveway on the right, and you can see a parking area in the distance, there is a trailer there where you pay and buy concessions. From the Colombus area, take 70 West until you get to 675 South. Take exit 20 (Dayton-Yellow Springs Road). I come from the south, and you would be coming from north, so I think you would like thake a left onto Dayton-Yellow Springs Road. Go about 2 miles. You'll come to an intersection with a traffic light which has a sign for a cement factory or something, that's not where you want to turn right, keep going straight, the next traffic light after that is 235. Turn right onto 235. Keep going about a mile and a half until you get to Enon road. Take a left onto Enon Road. Soo you will see the Green County Career Center on your right. Once you get past that, you'll soon see the driveway for Thrashers on thre right.

If you decide to go there some day, pm me, if I don't have to work, I can meet you there. It's an easy trip for me.
Gotta be near here.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...h&z=15&iwloc=A

Old 06-17-2009, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the same riding pants. Clearance form RMATV?

Tell Steve that riding in tennis shoes is not cool.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Pretty close, but it is off W Enon, not E Enon. It is a few driveways up from the Greene County Career Center, it is the long gravel driveway on the right. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...9&z=12&iwloc=A

Originally Posted by 2k1w=no$
I have the same riding pants. Clearance form RMATV?

Tell Steve that riding in tennis shoes is not cool.
I love the pants, they are Shift. Couldn't find a matching jersey my size. I don't have another pair of boots, but I offered Steve either of my 50/50 riding shoes to wear, Sidi and Icon. His foot size is about the same as mine. But he didn't want to wear them. He brought 2 pairs of tennis shoes, one pair got a nasty burn on the KTM exhaust, he pitched them. I brought other forms of protective gear, he declined most of them.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Pretty close, but it is off W Enon, not E Enon.
Still its not bad that I can work it out from the other side of the world.
Ahhh Google Maps. You gotta be happy with that?

Quick Reply: Took a bikeless friend riding