Toe guard

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Those are great looking boots. I'm heading to Oregon next weekend for the second annual two Cousins Epic Ride, and I'm still debating if I want to wear my boots. I'll take them just in case. These are the ones I got. And yes they look almost that good after 4 years...

I have a pair of those Fox Trackers too (blue & black.) Mine are two years old and again look as good as new. A bit of dubbin every now and then keeps em watertight.

I like the more retro style boot with more leather than plastic and rubber. Sure they take a bit longer to bed in and don't have the fancy inner boot etc but they last.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I did this last august on a WR400 and wearing an old set of 2nd hand Oniel boots that didn't fit quite right. What's worse is I didn't have insurance at the time. So it hurt my leg and hurt my butt at the same time. (I have insurance now)

Name:  xray3Medium.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  16.7 KB
Name:  xray2Medium.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  25.0 KB
Name:  xray1Medium.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  19.2 KB
Name:  legscrews.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  44.9 KB
Name:  leggashMedium.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  32.7 KB

Old 05-21-2010, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Next question. What am I going to wear for pants? My jeans will not fit inside these boots with my elephant calves and I don't think they'll stretch over the top.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the Klim Dakar pants that fix great over the boot. Great pants IMO.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
Next question. What am I going to wear for pants? My jeans will not fit inside these boots with my elephant calves and I don't think they'll stretch over the top.
Bikebandit have plenty on special from as low as $20.

http://www.bikebandit.com/off-road-m...=6#productlist

These Thor Static pants area bargain at $27.

http://www.bikebandit.com/thor-static-pants-2008

Old 05-22-2010, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

When you get into area's with stumps rocks or brush that could hide them. Shift your feet back on the pegs so your riding more on the ***** of your feet. It's a good habit to learn, and a big foot and ankle saver. It's ez when sitting, but standing is something you'll have to work up to, shift you feet back a little at a time each ride and you'll build your calves and foot up enough to get used to it. Not trying to give a lecture on riding, but it can save a lot of injury, foot getting knocked off the peg, vs, being trapped by the peg. had my share of busted toes and ankle through the years also, even with good boots.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the info and help, guys! Rimbender, that makes sense. I'll take that for a try.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Something bothers me about these boots. They have a Dale Earnhart "8" on them. I can just hear the banjo music of the Manards commercial.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
The funny thing was, on Wednesday right before I caught my left foot on a stump and got an "owee", I was thinking about how I really ought to invest in some safety gear like boots and knee pads. I was thinking maybe that night I'd go online and order a set of nice boots. Then I came around the corner, hugging the inside of the tril just a bit too much, and started down the hill when I caught that locust stump hiding in the nettles. I was wearing my safety toe work boots.

Then when i got home I got out the plastic and ordered a set of Alpinestar Tech 8s. I went a little overboard, but that's 2 ankle/foot injuries in recent history. UPS just dropped them off an hour or so ago. Nice boots. Took me a while to figure out the little bootie inside. I can get the right one on no problem but I'm supposed to keep my other foot in the brace for another week. The doc says I can walk on it though as long as I wear the brace. I also ordered an armored jersey and knee pads. I'm never getting back on the green bike again without the safety gear. This is getting too damn expensive and pain sucks.
I used to work in a bike shop and I would simply tell people it cost more to limp through the Emergency Room door than the boots do.

One guy commented about how "expensive" a pair of $130 boots (back then) were for his kid, I told him and his wife that comment, and she said, "We'll take 'em." without a second of heasitation.

Just remember one thing though, You still need to be careful of stuff like stumps and big honking rocks, if your ankle can't give something else will...

Boots make good foot and shin protection, but they aren't giving you "license" to slam around indescriminately. Your knees or hips will pay dearly. With all the increase in protection in pro football, the players are getting worse injuries than back in the sixties for obvious reasons - the better the protection the harder they hit, the worse the injuries when they do happen.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Did that about a month back like an idiot I had my foot dangling and caught a rock in tall grass. Thought I broke it, probably did but I could walk on it and put pressure on it. Still it's sore and Yes I want to get real boots now.

Quick Reply: Toe guard