TM36 and Acerbis tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:55 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
I had that carb on for a while and didn't have to do any grinding either. I already had longer cables due to 4" of handlebar rise.

Rob
Rob, do you have an Acerbis tank?...oh...and why don't you have the carb on it anymore?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep. It didn't affect the installation at all other than the placement of that thick wiring harness that runs near the carb. I just had to be sure to position that thing in the "gap" on to of the carb between the "cap" (in where the needle is) and the throttle part.

Rob

Old 09-06-2012, 04:27 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
Yep. It didn't affect the installation at all other than the placement of that thick wiring harness that runs near the carb. I just had to be sure to position that thing in the "gap" on to of the carb between the "cap" (in where the needle is) and the throttle part.

Rob
It's funny how so much of this stuff isn't exact between what appear to be identical bikes and equipment. While reading all the many, many posts about this carb on a KLX, I noticed several with stock tanks who had interference and most who didn't...same with the Clark tank. Also, many used the stock throttle cables with no problem while some couldn't.

Yeah, on that wiring harness bundle, even with the CVK, I had kind of rerouted mine to a more user friendly location...both for my convenience and the security of the wiring.

Rob, did you mention why you don't have that carb anymore?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I loved the responsiveness of it, it was freakin' awesome. But it was actually TOO awesome for me. It made the throttle response "jittery" it was so instant. It made it riding in slow, challenging terrain much harder than it needed to be (for me, being a relative noob to that stuff). I preferred the softer hit of the stock carb.

And since I bought it used in the first place, I sold it and didn't lose any money on it. Didn't make any, but didn't lose any. And the guy who has it now absolutely LOVES it, so it all worked out in the end.

Rob

Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Rob, I thought you had the TM33 for a while...not the TM36. ??

Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

For me there was nowhere near enough clearance on my 2006 with Acerbis tank for the TM36-68 pumper. The throttle wheel on the carb was hitting the tank and wouldn't rotate freely.
So I ground off the wheel and removed the push cable as you saw in my other post..

Old 09-07-2012, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm a bit surprised in the first place that all these carbs fit at all, specially the 36. Is the bore on the head side 36mm? The carb wall must be thin at the groove where the intake booth has a ridge. I guess 36mm is the larger that can be used on our klx?

Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I think bore size is not always equal to flange size. TM36-68 is basically a drop-in, however it is just slightly short front-to-back. About 2mm shorter than the stock, but it still fits anyway. The airbox boot just doesn't quite grab the back flange as completely as it should, but it still seals tight.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:56 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Hey Kawi Wawi and any others on the TM36...did you try using the 90 degree return pull cable as your pull cable with the 36? I notice especially with the Acerbis tank that it is a tight fit for the normal pull cable as a large section of the tank sump rests down in there. However, because of the 90 degree elbow built in to the return pull cable, it goes straight into the carb's cable holder and routes the cable back over to the original location away from the sump, valve cover, and frame parts. It looks like it was made for the application. In my pic I don't have the 90 degree elbow in the holder, but you can tell it lines up and it has the right amount of cable. I think I'm going to drill the threads out of the holder and use the two supplied nuts to retain the cable end just like the factory setup used on the CV carb.

Kawi Wawi, I see the interference you mentioned on the throttle wheel. It's ever so slight, but I'm definitely going after it with the dremel. I'm taking off the return pull cable holder too. It's not needed anyway. You know, I was amazed at how much room under our Acerbis tank there is for all the hardware. The petcock is completely out of the way, and the fuel line will be in the same identical location on mine. It's just crazy how easy this brute fits in that OEM hole. I didn't believe the comments about how it's easier to install and remove, but it certainly is.

Also I thought I read that the 36 is just slightly shorter than the CV34 from spigot to air intake, and that the intake manifold and 36 spigot weren't a perfect match. I measured both with a vernier caliper, and they had the same exact dimension at the spigot...42mm...same at the length from spigot to intake mouth...100mm...and the same exact intake mouth bell...though I forget now what it was. It's a direct drop-in fit.

The jet selection is on its way from Sudco, so I'll have an ample supply of options. However, it looks like most of the experimentation has been taken out due to the fine work of so many other members of this forum and a few others. It's nice not to have to be starting in the dark on a jetting project like I've done on many carbs in the past. I'm hoping this speeds up the process.

Attached Thumbnails TM36 and Acerbis tank-p1010003.jpg   TM36 and Acerbis tank-p1010005.jpg   TM36 and Acerbis tank-p1010008.jpg   TM36 and Acerbis tank-p1010009.jpg  
Old 09-08-2012, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Green with envy.

Maybe my next mod. Looking forward to see how you like it.

Quick Reply: TM36 and Acerbis tank