TM 36/IMS Tank update

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default TM 36/IMS Tank update

So I finally got the tank installed, pushed it out of the basement and fired it up. Adjusted the idle speed, and with a little tinkering got the bike to run okay. No rain today, so I took it out for a ride around the neighborhood. A completely different bike. Up the hills, fast on the arterials, and plenty of zip when you need it. This carb, jetted correctly(who knew), really changes the this bike. Don't know if I'll big bore or not right now, it was so much different than stock. Granted, it's got KDX snorkle, full FMF exhaust too, but it just comes to life so quickyl. Wow! Running Premium gas, non E, with a 125 main, 17.5 pilot and cilp in the middle. Feel free to ask any questions, just wanted to update you all on this mod.
Thanks, G
Wanted to add pic, but have no idea how....Seat concepts seat added too. oh well....

Last edited by Lilyboy; 03-04-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice to see you like it.

My 300R with it's new TM36 is still in the barn. Too much snow on the ground....

How do see the pros/cons of the KLX vs the DRZ now that you've pumperized the KLX?

Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hard to compare, my DRZ is the SM version. But, I did take both out yesterday, and the KLX felt more on par with the DRZ than before the carb mod. I was not unhappy with the bike stock and I knew that it wasn't my KTM, but the changes are night and day. Plus, that Seat Concepts upgrade is soooooo nice. What ever people are saying, they aint lying! Best money ever spent for comfort.
One side note on the carb. During warm up, and my bike had been sitting for two months, you could not put the stand down and let it lean to the left too much. My back yard is sloped, so it was way over. And since the carb is leaned that way too, it just flooded. After warm up, no problems. Going to try a few experiments today while my daughter is in preschool, and no rain is predicted...ah, Seattle.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Not sure anyone reads this post, but I'll add this anyway. Looks like I may have a float issue. Plugs are turning black, fuel spills out the overflow easily, and the bike starts very rich. Two rides, short ones, and it won't start again until a new plug is swapped. Carbon build up, not oily. Been reading a couple other threads, so hopefully I can try a few things once it's pulled....but that may be a while. Was just about to order from Bill Blue. Now I'm not sure...Oh well. Will check for sticky float, and seating height (19mm). Maybe do the angled in the vice check, to replicate seating in the bike.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:10 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Lily, when you check the static float height on the TM36, try checking the actual fuel level with the clear tube method also...just for grins. Use 1mm below the mating line of the bowl and carb body as a standard with the carb level.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm reading. Live just south of you near Enumclaw. ENjoyed the sun and put more than 100 miles on this weekend in preparation for next weekend's desert100 race. You are racing aren't you?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks TNC, remember reading that little bit of advice. Hopefully in the next week I can attack it. Very depressing when it rides nice, but you never know when it will stop dead and you're SOL.
Highbeam, racing? Sad to say my back won't ever allow that kind of fun anymore. Reason I sold my KTM 200, couldn't take the abuse anymore. Old people got no reason....wait, I'm old.
Then again, my 4 yr. old gives me more abuse than the bikes do these days. Hmmmm.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Age isn't the issue, there are people well into their 70s riding at the d100. I think you start racing for free after age 60. I'm in the "over the hill" category (30-40YO) and have had my *** handed to me on numerous occasions by guys in their 50s. Some of those old guys are awesome.

Back injuries are no joke though. Nobody likes pain.

Last edited by Highbeam; 04-01-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yeah, my back is pretty bad, so I save myself for my 4 yr. old. My bike gets what's left. I totally dig the attitude though Highbeam. Keep it up, and go ahead and give us old guys a "kick in the pants" reminder once in a while. Never hurts. Happy riding!
Greg.
Spoke with Bill Blue yesterday and he told me his story with the TM36-68 Carb. He could never get it to work with his stock bike, and did not like the gas mileage with his big bore. Nothing more than that. He's very nice and courteous, and everything he's been made out to be...classy.

Last edited by Lilyboy; 04-06-2013 at 04:51 PM.