TM 36-68 now, Big Bore next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default TM 36-68 now, Big Bore next?

Small intro. I've been reading this site since last spring, with minor input. Stay at home dad, 52, with a 4 year old (hence the name Lilyboy-do you really think I'd do that on purpose?), and just love all the stuff you guys share. The much younger wife, child and I live in Seattle, where it hasn't stopped raining in weeks. I love to work on my bikes, ride whenever and wherever possible. No ego. Playbike, dirt, street. Just making up for lost time, lots of it too.

So I just ordered the pumper carb, with the thought of a big bore next winter, just a few weeks away actually. Heard Bill might be retiring, and since his rep is so great I just have to make up my mind on what to get. 331? 351? I know, go big or go home! Just looking for some not so objective opinions. Let me have it, I can take the abuse.
So tired I wrote the wrong title and had to edit. oops

Last edited by Lilyboy; 12-12-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

The benefit of the bb351 is the fact that its the only jug that large... if you whent 331; kustom kraft also makes the 331, it has the nikasil plated cylinder vs the iron sleeve that all of bills bores have, granted nikasil costs more but is supposed to be better.

Either way the bb351 is cheaper for what you get and the iron sleeves are reported with great reviews; apparently they have had minimal problems that were attributed to a material selection error; but no errors regarding design. Those minor problems were a while ago and have been taken care of. Ive only read one report by LJ were she had unexplained and repetitive issues resulting from the bb351.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I may have been the one mentioning Blue's possible retirement. I heard the rumor last year and asked him. I think he said it was still a year or two out, but needless to say, we can't expect him to be doing this forever. But please don't take my post to indicate that I know of any RECENT developments.

I say if you're worried about it, give him a call and ask. He's an open, honest guy in my opinion and would give you the straight talk about if retirement is near or still a ways out.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Lilyboy - congrats on the bike, the little one....and of course the much younger wife. You and I are in the same boat. I'm almost 55 and have an 8 year old.

Personally I think if you went less than 351 you may second guess yourself for the next 2 years. I know I would.

Here's what you do - sell me that TM36 cheap and then you can make an apples/apples comparison from stock to the 351 kit. I'll be there for ya buddy.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Here's what you do - sell me that TM36 cheap and then you can make an apples/apples comparison from stock to the 351 kit. I'll be there for ya buddy.[/QUOTE]
Okay, I feel the love here....did I mention I'm not THAT old. I'll keep the 36.
Of course I'm leaning to the 351, but I want to hear some feedback. Loved Idridr's pic by pic build. That was very cool.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

250's benefit from any additional displacement, even just the 300 kit. The 351 is a proven item, so I certainly wouldn't be concerned about using it at all. I'm using a 300 kit with the TM36 carb, and it's outstanding. I think the carb has enough tuning lattitude to work on a 250 as long as the airbox and exhaust are uncorked reasonably. The TM36-68 is a super-tunable carb. And even though it has more tuning parameters than most carbs, it is surprisingly easy to diagnose and tweak with the excellent instructions from Mikuni. I have so thoroughly enjoyed this bike as the modifications have stacked up over the 3+ years of ownership. I heavily modded other bikes over the years but not with such positive results as I have gained with this bike in the area of suspension, engine, and accessories. I turned 61 last week while out on a 2-week desert riding trip on the KLX, so you have lots of time left for fulfillment.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks TNC. This bike is kind of like a 70's bike a friend had as a paper route bike. Lucky bastard, but anyway, I saw it and knew I would love it. Understand, my favorite ride was the KTM 200, but this is all grins. It's like being a kid again. I love to ride it, and when I'm not doing that, it's all about what I can mess with next. I'm not trying to turn into anything it's not, just love modifying stuff. It's a great learning experience, plus I missed all those years of not having bikes....I don't feel my age when I'm doing this stuff.

I've put a full FMF exhaust, and have messed around with snorkle in/out and have a KDX one lying around. Have a UNI filter from a previous bike that fit perfectly. I have NOT rejetted, but instead installed a Dial-a-jet as a temp until I changed out stuff. It works great by the way. Don't know why people don't like these things. Anyway, thanks.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I doubt your going to find much difference in HP between the 331 and 351, unless you take the motor completely to the edge of modification.

Really just seems like a matter of personal choice.

I have a Procycle 331 kit and have been very pleased. It uses a rebored cylinder but with nikasil plate like the Kustom Kraft. couple hundred bucks cheaper too if you have a cylinder to exchange.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks Wildcard. Have you heard of any reason the BB causes stress on other components? Again, it wouldn't dissuade me from doing this, just like to research things thoroughly. I'm only considering this right now because I can. Funds are available. I could end up waiting a year or more if I don't do this now, which I could live with too. Thanks for all the input.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lilyboy
Thanks Wildcard. Have you heard of any reason the BB causes stress on other components? Again, it wouldn't dissuade me from doing this, just like to research things thoroughly. I'm only considering this right now because I can. Funds are available. I could end up waiting a year or more if I don't do this now, which I could live with too. Thanks for all the input.

I really wouldn't worry about the big bore stressing the engine from the extra power. This engine is quite overbuilt considering the modest amount of power it makes (even with a big bore).

I had a pretty good idea of how robust the engine was but was still pretty impressed when i took mine apart to install my 331 at how "heavy duty" all the components were.

Quick Reply: TM 36-68 now, Big Bore next?