TM 33/34 Mikuni flat slide pumper on stock bore (Big Bore in future)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Look, my attitude is my bad..
These are bad times for someone that is not "programmable" (not susceptible to propaganda) to witness - there's too much "insanity" everywhere I look..

Take covid for example - It's not rocket surgery - it's a +ssRNA coronavirus that has reached pandemic status. This means that ( as with all RNA coronaviruses ) sooner or later, every damned one of us is going to get it PERIOD ! Once the vaccines were available and enough time allowed for the populace to receive the injection, the idea of mandating masks and lifestyle changes is insanity.. And, the yearly variants will require yearly vaccines !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Klxster; 08-19-2021 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

alright, so i ordered the TM36. seems like its the better of the 2 and has more info about it in the forums. ill start with a base jetting i found on here in a different thread that's pretty close to my setup. then ill use an Innovate Motorsports LM-2 Digital A/F Wideband meter to dial in the final jet settings. ill probably only hit the dyno once i feel like I've gotten it to the best i can just to verify my fueling and see how the power curve differs from the CVK. KLXster, while i completely agree that it is imperative to know what the A/F ratios are throughout the RPM/load range that doesn't mean i need to have countless dyno sessions eating up all my $$$. yes it would be nice to see how each change effects the power curve but i simply don't have that time or money. now that I've ordered the TM i know im going to need fuel and air jets, and maybe a needle or 2. TNC, do you recall where you got the different jets from?

Old 08-22-2021, 09:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scubiedoo22
alright, so i ordered the TM36. seems like its the better of the 2 and has more info about it in the forums. ill start with a base jetting i found on here in a different thread that's pretty close to my setup. then ill use an Innovate Motorsports LM-2 Digital A/F Wideband meter to dial in the final jet settings. ill probably only hit the dyno once i feel like I've gotten it to the best i can just to verify my fueling and see how the power curve differs from the CVK. KLXster, while i completely agree that it is imperative to know what the A/F ratios are throughout the RPM/load range that doesn't mean i need to have countless dyno sessions eating up all my $$$. yes it would be nice to see how each change effects the power curve but i simply don't have that time or money. now that I've ordered the TM i know im going to need fuel and air jets, and maybe a needle or 2. TNC, do you recall where you got the different jets from?
I got everything from Sudco. They are one of the few places that usually have everything in stock for Keihin and Mikuni carbs. Well known and reliable. If you're going to the trouble of doing the A/F deal, you will have little issue dialing everything in.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member

while i completely agree that it is imperative to know what the A/F ratios are throughout the RPM/load range that doesn't mean i need to have countless dyno sessions eating up all my $$$. yes it would be nice to see how each change effects the power curve but i simply don't have that time or money.
Well I got some bad news for you about your above quote - especially your implications surrounding "doesn't mean I need to have countless dyno sessions....."

Out of my 27 dyno sessions ( If I counted them correctly) NONE were "optional".. Every single session was mandatory, necessary, and vital.
I am the last person in the world that would spend a dime on even one dyno session - unless doing so was required. And I still get pissed when I recall that I spent a total of about $2000.00 on dyno sessions before the CVK setup was "close enough" to perfect to be able to quit dyno'ing and finish the recipes off - I did not even do "final verification sessions" due to empirical data from all the previous runs making such unnecessary. Point is, I stopped dyno'ing the moment I could..

Why was so many sessions needed ? The answer is simple: I started out using the "forum sourced" setup in my CVK. This setup produced such f#$%k'd up fueling that it was totally useless - I had to start from scratch. Main problem was that forum setups were all surrounding the use of a DJ128 main jet - the actual "correct" main jet turned out to be a DJ144 ( for a lidless airbox and full performance exhaust)..

Pray you are not about to follow in my footsteps with the TM36. The variables - simply by the number of components that the forum has you alter/replace - are many orders of magnitude more complex that what I had to deal with, with the CVK. Let us hope TNC's dyno-butt and 50,000 years free range tuning experience has you close enough to not need a total revamp of the entire fueling curve..

P.S. Gaining the necessary knowledge - the knowledge that allows one to be able to correctly assess a fueling curve - is beyond most peeps capability ( And beyond most "tuners" skillset..) If you would rather not read a few weeks worth of laboratory test data, results data, and white sheet reports, concerning AFR burn rates, effects on combustion efficiency, effects on component cooling, etc, I can provide the target numbers and ranges.

Last edited by Klxster; 08-23-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

then ill use an Innovate Motorsports LM-2 Digital A/F Wideband meter to dial in the final jet settings.
did you not see this part? again, i dont need a dyno to tell me what the AFRs are. the only difference between using a wideband meter and a dyno is the piece of paper with a HP and TQ curve on it. when your bike was on the dyno im pretty sure they stuck an A/F probe in the exhaust, correct? thats what i will be doing so i can verify i have proper fueling throughout the rpm range. i also agree that carbs and tuning are beyond most people's understanding, but i am not most people. the TM has much more tuning capabilities and adjustments than the CVK, which also means more room for error. but this means there is room for improvement as well. the main reason im ditching the CVK and going with the TM is because my CVK no longer works properly and its causing the bike to run stupid rich. plus its much more expensive than the TM.

Old 08-24-2021, 03:38 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

did you not see this part? again, i dont need a dyno to tell me what the AFRs are. the only difference between using a wideband meter and a dyno is the piece of paper with a HP and TQ curve on it. when your bike was on the dyno im pretty sure they stuck an A/F probe in the exhaust, correct? thats what i will be doing so i can verify i have proper fueling throughout the rpm range. i also agree that carbs and tuning are beyond most people's understanding, but i am not most people. the TM has much more tuning capabilities and adjustments than the CVK, which also means more room for error. but this means there is room for improvement as well. the main reason im ditching the CVK and going with the TM is because my CVK no longer works properly and its causing the bike to run stupid rich. plus its much more expensive than the TM.
You'll be fine with the route you're taking. Klxster has provided some good info over time on this forum, but I don't know what's causing him to go off the rails and spout the nonsense he is spouting in this thread. He is taking the "my way or the highway" approach. It seems he thinks it's impossible that for eons people have been able to stumble around in their ignorance and somehow hit the jackpot by sheer luck on achieving good fueling with carbs. I'd never dismiss the value of a dyno or sophisticated air/fuel mixture analysis devices. However, especially with a single cylinder engine like the KLX, it is quite possible for mere mortals to attain proper jetting with the CVK and the TM-36...especially when you're starting out with proven options that others have already plowed the ground with.

Old 08-24-2021, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

How bout shutting me up with LM-2 logs of low speed, medium speed , and high speed steady-state cruising - as well as WOT logs using 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear...

How likely are the above postings ? Not very..
How likely would the above postings show correct fueling ? None..

Old 08-24-2021, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

How about just shutting up?

Old 08-24-2021, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

And the "Shut Up / Complaint" line starts over there behind IDRIDR..

Until the line gets too long to warrant the time, I'll personally respond...

To IDRIDR: How bout NOooo !

Next ?

Last edited by Klxster; 08-25-2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

i would never dismiss the use or value of a dyno, i just wont have countless dyno sessions eating up all my $$ that could be used for something else. 1-3 sessions ok, 10,15,20 sessions not a chance.....unless you got an in on a dyno to use for cheap. im not knockin KLXster for what hes achived, he helped me set up my bike and it was an amazing difference. he was also the first one to message when my CVK went on the fritz.
KLXster, please educate me on why i wont get correct data or fueling from the LM-2. whats the difference between the LM-2 and a dyno "sniffer"? does the dyno A/F probe have that much more software/processing power or is it the combo of the AFRs + dyno/RPM data? not trying to be a smartass or anything, just wondering what the actual differences are so im not a fool spouting nonsense.

TM36 came in yesterday and was installed without issue. literally plug and play, did not have to cut the push/pull wire cam and was able to use both cables. the only thing i needed to do was reroute the throttle cables and trim a little off the fuel hoes going into the petcock. theres plenty of clearance all around the carb. bike fired right up with zero issue and idled well. took it for a ride around the block to see what it felt like and man o man what a difference. i know the jetting is off but it feels pretty close so i dont think it will be too hard to dial in. TLC and the others with a TM know what im talking about when i say theres no way ill ever think about a CVK again. this thing feel 100x better than the CVK, even with it needing to be dialed in. i cant wait for the jets and stuff to arrive so i can get this bad girl back into her prime

Last edited by scubiedoo22; 08-27-2021 at 01:45 AM.

Quick Reply: TM 33/34 Mikuni flat slide pumper on stock bore (Big Bore in future)