Tires, Tires, Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
About $35 too much. You must really like that shop. Were that me, I would save that and put it toward your springs. RockyMountainATV has them for $78 w/free shipping on for orders over $99, so if you got a front tire, too, or maybe those sprockets, you would have that covered.

I like supporting a local shop, but not that much. Too big of a price difference.
Oh I left out that I was cash poor and could charge it on the Yamaha card...so that means by the time I'm done paying for it it will probably be around $200 ..................

Old 04-16-2009, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

anyone tried the IRC TR8?? Ready for a new rear.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsac
good luck with your milage on that.. im one of those that get 3000 miles out of a dunlop.. i got barely 1000 out of a TKII. you never state what kind of terrain you ride and what percentage of it is blacktop..........
i ride about 60 on/ 40 off. mostly so cal desert and chapparel. i just installed the tk2 and i alreadly dont like it. it feels like marbels on the street (trust me, i rode the release compund off first with some hard riden single track). the dunlops never felt like they "steped out" cornering but these do. also, compared to the 606s these aint as hot as i thought for grip. it does dig in the the places the 606 would spin but other than that the 606 is just fine. also, the tk is way softer than the 606, and with only 25 miles on it its showing some wear. the tk2 is from today after ~25 miles, 110-100.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Smile

Maxxis Maxcross IT F&R These things hook up well offroad and don't feel too bad on the street. I liked the 606 for off but not too well on. Maxxis are far better offroad and a bit cheaper. I run 13 rear and 12 PSI front w\ rim locks. Correct pressure is the key, in my opinion. It allows the tread to function as it was designed to. These are our hot-rods, gentlemen. Wear that rubber out and put on new ones. New tires are cool!!!

Old 04-16-2009, 02:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Dunlop 908?

I was talking to a dealer today who said one of his customers got really good mileage out of a Dunlop 908. Anyone using these?

Attached Thumbnails Tires, Tires, Tires-d908.jpg  
Old 04-16-2009, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikey113
I was talking to a dealer today who said one of his customers got really good mileage out of a Dunlop 908. Anyone using these?
hmm... i like the k760 trackmaster 2. but i only got about 1000 miles out of it. so im gonna try a D606 on the rear next. im still runnin the stock 605 on the front with 4000 miles and its holding up well.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikey113
Wont fit . 140 is the smallest rear in an 18". ADV riders like em, so does the desert crowd.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Sooo??
Any of us riding stricktly street tyres?
Any brand sugesttions?
Marc

Old 04-17-2009, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 04-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

If you're riding sand/desert, that makes sense, from what I hear, most sand riders like the 606 as a decent D/S tire. I know the guys I ride with a little south of me where there is a lot of sand like it. My local terrain is hard clay and woods, 606 did not have good side traction at all in flat turns - it was downright scary for me, I couldn't take it off fast enough. If there is a berm or rut, no problem, straight-on traction was fine. And it was pretty decent at Uwharrie which is a very rocky off-road area, but I only ride there a couple of times a year.

I'm surprised you don't care for the TM-II, though, most folks like that tire pretty well for the sand. It think it works best in soft to intermediate, not so great for hard or rocky.

I have voiced complaints about the D606 and especially its stepping out without warning. All tires slip, but the 606 seems to do it all at once, with very little warning or feel. Just wham, and you're rear tire is all the sudden in front and you're wearing your bung hole for an eye patch. This was most pronounced when me and a few buddies laid out a "grass track" in a field. Aggressive cornering in those conditions is a little sketchy on any tire, but the 606 put me on my rear several times. The tire I had on before was much better behaved, it would give some, but not let loose completely like the Dunlop. I could barely make one transit of that course without nearly losing it and it got to the point where I lost all confidence in the 606 as a result, so I said screw this. Like I said, I couldn't take it off fast enough. It is the wrong tire *for me*.

So when considering other peoples' experiences and making buying decisions based on them, also need to consider the terrain they ride. I did not like the 606, but plenty of others like it. The difference could be many things, but terrain is probably being the biggest.

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
i ride about 60 on/ 40 off. mostly so cal desert and chapparel. i just installed the tk2 and i alreadly dont like it. it feels like marbels on the street (trust me, i rode the release compund off first with some hard riden single track). the dunlops never felt like they "steped out" cornering but these do. also, compared to the 606s these aint as hot as i thought for grip. it does dig in the the places the 606 would spin but other than that the 606 is just fine. also, the tk is way softer than the 606, and with only 25 miles on it its showing some wear. the tk2 is from today after ~25 miles, 110-100.

Quick Reply: Tires, Tires, Tires