Tires, Tires, Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I just paid $114.00 for the 12-90-18 rear tire through the shop on the Yamaha card. A little higher than other places but I like my shop and they got it in the next day.
About $35 too much. You must really like that shop. Were that me, I would save that and put it toward your springs. RockyMountainATV has them for $78 w/free shipping on for orders over $99, so if you got a front tire, too, or maybe those sprockets, you would have that covered.

I like supporting a local shop, but not that much. Too big of a price difference.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
About $35 too much. You must really like that shop. Were that me, I would save that and put it toward your springs. RockyMountainATV has them for $78 w/free shipping on for orders over $99, so if you got a front tire, too, or maybe those sprockets, you would have that covered.

I like supporting a local shop, but not that much. Too big of a price difference.
Let the guys without an internet connection support the local shop. When I bought my bike, I did my research then I went out of my way to try and let my local shop earn my business. I told them what I could get the bike for at a shop 200 miles away ($600 less). I wanted to split the difference with them. They told me that they weren't moving on their price since they weren't having any problems selling them. I try to avoid shopping there with their take it or leave it attitude.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsac
if you want good onroad and offroad coupled with longevity D606 is hands down the winner. so far this tire has the best balance for on/off road coupled with longevity.
The 606 hooked up on rocks big time for me.

What do you guys with 606's on the rear run in the front?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Has anybody tried a trials tire for the rear? I keep hearing how they work great on hard pack and rocks. My rear TrackMaster has about 600 miles on it, which means its not long for this world. I found this - IRC TR1 - at denniskirk.com for $51.00 and it's DOT approved...

I know they'll suck in mud, but most of my riding is on rocky trails and pavement. Just curious if they work as advertised.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Haven't tried one yet, but they are on the list, maybe next.

Here's a dirt-rider comparison. This seems like a pretty thorough review. They say they don't suck in mud as bad as you would think, but mud is their weakest point.

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/14...son/index.html

Old 04-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default tires

Originally Posted by mustang
Has anybody tried a trials tire for the rear? I keep hearing how they work great on hard pack and rocks. My rear TrackMaster has about 600 miles on it, which means its not long for this world. I found this - IRC TR1 - at denniskirk.com for $51.00 and it's DOT approved...

I know they'll suck in mud, but most of my riding is on rocky trails and pavement. Just curious if they work as advertised.
I started my riding on a trials bike(73 Honda TL125) of course I wanted the cr125elsinore but older wiser dad said better learning on a trials bike, he was rite of course.(Bugger). I don't know about trials tires on a dualsport bike . Hardpack slippy rocks ,ok anything else I don,t think so. Guess It depends on the terrain your riding on.Besides a 300lbs KLX250s is not a trials bike.I love my KLX250s but cant see it on trials tires.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

You are probably going to fling off the treads if you use a rear trials tire on rocks.

A guy on a TE510 did that. That bike is way more powerful than ours, but I don't think it would be hard to do the same on our bike.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Trials are for trials and they are good but I would not say I have had my KLX in a trials section I blast through on my Trackmaster 2s. WFO.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

A lot of the Endurocross riders would use them until they made them against the rules because they were like cheater tires, way better than knobbies in that stuff.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Only get a trials tyre if you fancy a bit of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCy9n...eature=related
The KLX won't really cut it though. LOL.

Quick Reply: Tires, Tires, Tires