TIRES..i'm so confused..

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Default TIRES..i'm so confused..

I've put 1250 miles on my bike in 1 & 1/2 months. The rear is showing quite a bit of wear..front is pretty good. When I bought the bike I expected the use to be 80% off road, and 20% on. It's been the exact opposite. Yesterday I rode 65 miles on the road..trying to find a place to get off the road! I like the stock tires on road..they are pretty lame off. SO, the drama is what to do when replacing. Don't want to give up road ability..but want to gain off road ability. Is there a tire that can do this? I'm guessing not. I do have my KTM strictly for off road abuse, so I guess I can give a little on the KLX. Anyway..I'll [sm=shutup.gif] now..

Old 05-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Default RE: TIRES..i'm so confused..

Dave,

What is it that you want a tire to do?

There are many, many options out there, from reasonably priced, right up to outrageously priced!

Let me know what type of riding you want to do and I'll let you know what seems to work - at least here in the southeast.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:53 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Kenda 270's that's what I'm getting soon, well that's after I install a new 606 to go with my front tire now so they will wear out at the same time then I can install the Kenda's. You know when I bought this bike I did it initially to save gas, and while I am saving gas, I wonder if I'm not breaking even with all of the bling that I have added? Well if its a wash then the fun factor is the best feature of all of this.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:00 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey all i think this is my first post. I am going to use this bike more on road than off, and like everyone else the tire is wearing quickly, what kinda tire can i get more miles out of and still have good to decent off road traction? I ordered a muzzy slip on muffler, keeping the stock header pipe. I plan on just doing the muffler for now, any issues with this? Its not going to hurt the bike or anything will it?

Old 05-12-2006, 10:31 AM

Hey Marty. The majority of my riding has been on road, although that wasn't the initial plan. I bought it with the purpose of riding to the trails, rather than trailering my dirt-only KTM everytime. The problem became that I love riding this bike all of the time. I ride it 50 miles round trip to work, to the grocery store, anywhere and everywhere that I can. I will use my KTM for the real hardcore off road stuff, but the KLX will definitely see it's share of the dirt. I would like something with the good road manners of the stock tire, but with a little more off road grip. Here in the NW we get more than our share of rain, so much of the year is pretty muddy..summers are pretty dry. I also hit the sand every now and then. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:54 AM

Was checking out the IRC GP-1. It's a 50/50 tire that looks very similar to the Kenda 270 in tread pattern. Has anyone heard good/bad about this tire?

Old 05-12-2006, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: konacoiler

Was checking out the IRC GP-1. It's a 50/50 tire that looks very similar to the Kenda 270 in tread pattern. Has anyone heard good/bad about this tire?
I have heard nothing but good things about this tire. They say it is just as good in the dirt as the 270's and way less squirlly on the road then the 270's, though some people don't think the 270s are squirlly. They say this is the IRC tire is the tire Kenda copied to make 270s, but the 270s aren't as good due to the squirliness, but the 270s supposedly last longer.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:37 PM

I have NO EXPERIENCE with the IRC GP-1 tire. However, I run the IRC GP-110 tire on the front of my KLR650. It gives me excellent on road performance and for gravel, hard packed dirt and such, it works quite well. I have it mounted backwards - supposedly gives better braking performance on loose stuff - and have never been disappointed in it's performance. On the rear I run a Duro HF-904. I like the combo for mose of the riding I do. The tires also last about 6000 to 8000 miles and are quite reasonably priced. I mount my own tires and find these readily available and they always mount up nicely.

Now IRC makes a lot of tires that most folks have never looked at - all DOT approved. From mild to wild!

You have the aforementioned GP-110, which is the MILD version available from them. 90/10 is their on/off road rating:

$37.04 front - $54.41 rear

90% ON - 10% OFF ROAD
DESIGNED TO PROVIDE THE BEST HANDLING AND CONTROL FOR BOTH ON AND OFF THE PAVEMENT
SPECIAL ***** PENETRATE LOOSE SURFACES FOR EXCELLENT TRACTION, BRAKING, AND CORNERING OFF THE ROAD YET WON'T WEAR OFF AS FAST AS A FULL KNOBBY WHEN USED ON THE STREET
DOT APPROVED
S RATED FOR UP TO 112 MPH - (note this is important if you have a modified KLX250!)

Next up you have the GP-1, which is a mid-way tire, list as 50/50.

$32.23 front - $46.66 rear

50% ON - 50% OFF
DESIGNED TO PROVIDE THE BEST HANDLING AND CONTROL FOR BOTH ON AND OFF THE PAVEMENT
SPECIAL ***** PENETRATE LOOSE SURFACES FOR EXCELLENT TRACTION, BRAKING, AND CORNERING OFF THE ROAD YET WON'T WEAR OFF AS FAST AS A FULL KNOBBY WHEN USED ON THE STREET

Then you have the BR-92 (not to be confused with the BR-549) which is a 10/90 tire.

$40.76 front - $59.98 rear

10% ON - 90% OFF
EXHILARATING OFF-ROAD PERFOMANCE FROM A STREET LEGAL TIRE
EXTRA WIDE KNOBBY TREAD PATTERN PROVIDES SUPERIOR TRACTION ON LOOSE DIRT AND LOAM
REINFORCED CARCASS CONSTRUCTION

Finally you have a very agressive tire, the BR-99.

$46.66 front - $63.04 rear

R-RATED
AGGRESSIVE KNOBBY DISTRIBUTION PROVIDES EXCELLENT OFF-ROAD PERFORMANCE
APPROVED FOR FIM-TYPE ENDURO
DOT APPROVED

All of these tires, and many, many more can be found at American Motorcycle Tire's Website.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Hey all i think this is my first post. I am going to use this bike more on road than off, and like everyone else the tire is wearing quickly, what kinda tire can i get more miles out of and still have good to decent off road traction? I ordered a muzzy slip on muffler, keeping the stock header pipe. I plan on just doing the muffler for now, any issues with this? Its not going to hurt the bike or anything will it?

If you havent already heard, I will be the one to bust your bubble about the Muzzy slip on with the stock head pipe. It will NOT fit. I was gonna go with the slip on and had ordered it. I had to stop the order since I read a couple of people had tried the slip on version and found out that it was to short. Sorry to be that guy... Go ahead and spend the extra $$$ and get the full system and the jet kit.. well worth it....

Old 05-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ok so the slip on wont fit, so which system do i order then? is it the system for the klx300? and should i rejet the carb, so that the motor doesnt lean out. i dont wanna mess up the motor.

Quick Reply: TIRES..i'm so confused..