Tires... How far to you dare wear it down

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Tires... How far to you dare wear it down

OK. I am in the process of finishing off my stock tires.
My next ride may be my last on the D605 4.6-18 rear.
I think I am going to try the KendaK270
But I waffle betwwen that and the D606

I have .125 to .130 of knobby left in the center.

The manual says to replace before .080". In that case maybe I have a couple rides left

How far have you worn the tire down before you finally stopped procrastinating?

Old 10-04-2009, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

funny you should ask...
i am running one down as long as i can before it goes....
almost got a slick in the center. lol
ive been doing donuts and burnouts on it to see if it will let go.
seems to wear reel slow near the end.

i noticed for a while it was load as hell on the road but at a certain point it get quite again.

i would say dont be like me though im a jacka$$ and got more band aids than sense.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd advise what your fathers told you to do, Get some RUBBERS!!!! Don't hesitate to long, whiping out b/c of a bald tire dosent sound like fun to me. You will want to kick your own ***. ha,ha. I own an 09' klx250s and took the stock tire off and put a Kenda trackmaster on front and back,Excellent traction ( i ride mainly woods ).They also seemed easy to mount, maybe it has something to do w/ them being dot approved. Do some research on tires before buying.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

FWIW, I like the K270's and use them on a bunch of our bikes. But, be warned their sizing is "different", and the chart at their sites isn't even close. I'ven even got 4.6's when I ordered 4.5's.

For the front go 3.25, the 3.00 is a bunch narrower and shorter.

Rear, the 4.5/4.6 is taller and narrower than other 4.6, by a lot. Mounted it barely clears the mud gaurd flap with the chain adj at 5.5. If you had a short chain.sprocket combo it would rub.

Rear 5.10, wider and shorter, never tried one a 250, lot of tire to pull. Use em on the big klr.

Ideal would be a size in between the 2. I just ordered thir new 120/80, hoping it will be the tweener size.

Compared to most other tires, they are real soft and pliabale and great traction off road. On the street they ride like a soft tire, maybe not for Ricky wannabe Roadracer. But they make a great true 50/50 tire.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

If your riding very much off road with only an eighth inch of ****, your robbing your self of traction. I end up switching mine when they are probably twice that tall. If you don't care about the off road traction run them down even further.
Dan

Old 10-04-2009, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

RimBender:
I just ordered thir new 120/80, hoping it will be the tweener size.
Let me know if that is a tweener size. I was about to order the 4.6/4.5-18 but I have the 13T and I'm concidering the 12T (stock 42T on Rear) and that will stretch my weheel base even further... Do you think it would rub?

Old 10-04-2009, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll post up when it gets here (next week), For reference the 4.60x18 k270 mounted is 4.2" wide and 3.8" tall. The stock dunlop 4.60 was 4.3" wide 3.3" tall. So total diameter the kenda an inch taller, which effects gearing, seat height etc. That's why I posted the "be advised". I ride technical single track and air down pretty low sometimes, so the trials tire mush of the tall soft tire works pretty good for me. For a street bias I'd choose a harder tire, but you can air the kenda up pretty hard and they're fine.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I am about 50/50 Dirt/Road for what I do.
I am having fun with the "less than stellar" traction.
A rear tire with crappy traction feels like a substitute for power hahaha

got more band aids than sense.
I'm did feel like I was trying out for the jack@ss award a couple times
I may need to barrow a Band Aid or two later.

I was in first gear, and twisting the throttle while leaning and kicking out the rear end.
ahhh man, that is really FUN!!
I was practicing on the left and right side, It feels like a lot of kickout, but I would probaby look retarded on video

But as long as nobody is lookin, I can feel like I am cool, and I'll feel free to talk as if James Stewart rides like a sissy compared to me LOL

Old 10-04-2009, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

When I talk to my tire man, he states that people get 90% of their flats on the final 10% of their tire life. Some people run them right down to the cords, then wonder why they get flat tires.

I hate getting flat tires in the bush, so change my tires when they still have tread on them. Yes, it costs me a bit for the tires, but 10% of tire life is about $7, pretty cheap insurance to avoid bush flats.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by North/South
10% of tire life is about $7, pretty cheap insurance to avoid bush flats.
Good way to look at it N/S. I feel like I'm wasting money when I put on a new tire before the old one is completely gone, but your right it's really only a fraction of the price of a tire. I've got a new rear D606 130/90x18 I'm going to mount just for a couple D/S rides. The tire I have on now is ony about half gone, but I want new big sharp ***** for the D/S events.
Dan

Quick Reply: Tires... How far to you dare wear it down