Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Tires

The rear tire pulls hard in the sand. I'd say its on par with the TM. The front however is quite a bit skinnier than stock or the K776 that I had on there. Its only an 80 width front, the others were 90's, 10mm is nearly a half inch narrower. As such it kinda flounders in the sand at lower speed, you really have to be moving for it to stabilize in the sand. Its also a very rounded profile tire, which I'm sure doesn't help it in the sand either, it does however turn very quickly on and off road.

Compare it to the K776 next to it profile and width wise...

And with the AC-10 mounted....

This is a better shot of the K776 when new...

The only soft sand comparison I can make is an all coarse grained sand hill climb I have done a few times. Twice I've failed to make it to the top with the TM. First try with the AC-10 and it chewed its way up and left one helluva rut to follow coming back down. We hadn't had rain in about a month so it was plenty loose.

I have 600 miles on the AC-10's now and the M in the center lugs of the rear tire is juuuuuuust about gone, so only a few mm of tire wear in 600 miles. If I can think of it I'll grab a shot of them tomorrow.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I looked hard at the AC-10' as well, but I couldn't find a review on how they did on the pavement and I didn't want to take the chance on another bad pavement tire . They have got to handle better than the stockers..but how do they corner...wet tarmac....how's the ride at freeway speeds?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Or better yet ..... how do they last on pavement. For a while I had a Pirellie super soft Front tire and it was awsome in the sand. Then one day when my truck broke I had to do a quick 90 mile trip on I-95 at 75 mph.........long story short that tire was done after that ride.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I was running 70-75 for an extended period on the aforementioned ride. When they were brand new they were a bit squirrely above 65 but they've settled down now. I wouldn't hesitate to ride these anywhere. I haven't ridden in the rain but I've ridden after a rain and in fog so heavy you'd swear a cloud just landed on you and they don't lose any appreciable grip so far as I could tell. Like I said, 600 miles on them so far, mostly pavement, and if you look at the rear tire pic, the M in the center lug is just about gone, less than 3mm of wear in 600 miles. Including several lockups on the tar, twice when I got cut off and grabbed too much of both brakes, and the other times I slide it for the neighbor kid. It's a very predictable tire, get it to slide and shift your weight and you can swing it any way you want without any quirkiness.

You have to try to lock it up though, the tires growl like crazy under heavy braking and its very loud when the rear finally breaks free.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, thanks for a rear flat on the way to work today, I guess my thoughts about a new set of rubber need to be excelerated. AC10's are sounding pretty good, my only concerns were their on road behaviour, and if its at least as good as the stockers, then I think I may be sold.

Thanks for all the input!

Old 10-11-2007, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Comparing the AC-10's to the stock tires, in my personal experience they are better than the stock tires in all conditions. My stock rear tire would lock up just downshifting. The side ***** on the stockers didn't feel very stable when leaned over. The TM I never really had it down too far on the pavement. The AC-10 I have no reservations about when running the slab or in the dirt. I'm fairly confident its a better tire than I am corner carver.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's the pics showing the wear at 600 miles:

Name:  KLX137Medium.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  KLX134Medium.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  KLX135Medium.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  KLX136Medium.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  43.9 KB

Old 10-11-2007, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the awesome pics and advice! I'm kind of leaning towards the AC-10. Just going for the rear and will probably wait until the spring as my riding days are running out fast. [X(]Interesting that there is notmuch info on the Bridgestone. Bridgestone makes really nice tires. I have them on my truckand had them on a few other cars.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on bridgestone. After the ford explorer rollover problems they dumped a ton of money into research and they have the most technologically advanced truck tires on the market (the deuler revo). I've got a set on my truck and love them, but when they wear out I'm going back to the king, the BFG all-terain tko!

Old 10-12-2007, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UTRoss

The stock tires seem ok off road, and can be pretty scary on dirt roads with loose rock.
That's an understatement IMHO. Hard pack dirt/clay with loose rock is very hazardous. I thought maybe these tires would scrub in but, they walk on me on two different asphalt roads and are a NO-NO for me on dirt.

Quick Reply: Tires