Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Tires

Dunlop 606 or Bridgestone ED04. Any thoughts on which would be a better tire? I do a lot of trail riding with spots from mud to loose sand. I have just over 1,000 miles and don't think I'll make another 500. At least not for off road.

Thanks,

Old 10-10-2007, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Tires

They both look almost the same tread. So go with Dunlop's.

If the trail has mud and loose sand, I would suggest looking for a better tire. Maybe something like the Kenda Trakmaster. But then again, your choices do have a wider tread pattern than the Kenda K270.

From experience with the K270 in mud. I found my self in ****s creek in no time flat. The tread blocks weren't spread out enough to allow mud to sling off and became a slick.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I have had no problems with the 606's its been in sand, slick mud, hard pack, its seen it all and so far its the best all around tire i have found, id like to try the trak masters but do too much road riding.... i have seen alot of guys with the 606's, the 606 front is a great tire too.... a world better than the stocker.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

When I was tire shopping I did some research on the ED04 and didn't come up with much...the general public just hasn't seemed to embrace the company as a dirtbike tire co. yet...I ended up going more 50/50 to the bstone tw301/302, but if I spent 80% of my time in the dirt I would have given the ed04's a shot.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I hate to admit it but probably 70% of my mileage is on the pavement. I heard the horror stories of the Trakmaster being scary on the pavement, it wobbles in corners, no grip, etc etc etc. But for the 2200 miles I rode it I never experienced any of the "negative" traits that I read about. That being said I only ran the rear tire. It actually handled steel deck bridges better than both the stocker and the Cheng Shin C858 50/50 tire that I had on there. On my friend's Honda 650L I could see the tire walk on him in the tight corners, but A)he's heavier than I am, B) the 650 is 50lbs heavier than the KLX C) the 650 makes 18 more hp than the KLX so it has a weight disadvantage and a power advantage, its no wonder it would slide on the pavement.

The Trakmaster is cheap, has a ton of grip in the dirt, and its only downfall (that I found) on road is that its quite noisy.

Here's a comparison shot, 2200 mile 100-100-18 Trakmaster vs 110-100-18 Michelin AC-10

The Kenda TM will run you around $45, the 606's are closer to $60 aren't they? The Michelins were $60 each but are quiet on road, stick to the pavement very well, and have almost the same grip offroad as the Trakmaster.

Yes I hijacked your post a bit.........sorry, I just like tires

Old 10-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

You can always count on Josh for some tire analysis.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

The AC-10's handle the twisties good too, nicely scuffed out to the last "fuzzie" from the tire molds.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmmmm, I'm getting ready to order a couple sets of tires for both my klx and ktm 640, your post has me rethinking myself. I've put 2K+ miles with trackmasters on my klx.....never had an issue with pavement traction and it throws sand, no problem. The ktm has 606's and I'm noone too impressed in soft sand..... but they are close to being done and the ktm is still new to me.

I was planning on getting the TM's for my 640 too.......now I'm looking at the AC-10........do these tires REALLY hook up in soft sand?

Old 10-11-2007, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

I hate to admit it but probably 70% of my mileage is on the pavement. I heard the horror stories of the Trakmaster being scary on the pavement, it wobbles in corners, no grip, etc etc etc. But for the 2200 miles I rode it I never experienced any of the "negative" traits that I read about. That being said I only ran the rear tire. It actually handled steel deck bridges better than both the stocker and the Cheng Shin C858 50/50 tire that I had on there. On my friend's Honda 650L I could see the tire walk on him in the tight corners, but A)he's heavier than I am, B) the 650 is 50lbs heavier than the KLX C) the 650 makes 18 more hp than the KLX so it has a weight disadvantage and a power advantage, its no wonder it would slide on the pavement.

The Trakmaster is cheap, has a ton of grip in the dirt, and its only downfall (that I found) on road is that its quite noisy.

Here's a comparison shot, 2200 mile 100-100-18 Trakmaster vs 110-100-18 Michelin AC-10

The Kenda TM will run you around $45, the 606's are closer to $60 aren't they? The Michelins were $60 each but are quiet on road, stick to the pavement very well, and have almost the same grip offroad as the Trakmaster.

Yes I hijacked your post a bit.........sorry, I just like tires
Hmmmm...... I'm looking at the AC10. Around the same price as the others. $64.95 How are they on loose stuff? They look like they would do prettygood. And I do like to hit twisties around a few lakes near me so that is a plus.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

AC10 riders - sounds like these work decent in the various off road capacities, but would you say they are decent on pavement? By decent, I mean, good. I ride about 80-90% on road, but when off road, I want goodperformance (dirt, hard pack, loose rock and sand). The stock tires seem ok off road, and can be pretty scary on dirt roads with loose rock. I want to step up the performance, but I really ride a lot of road, so I don't want to sacrifice in that dept (or risk something bad happening).

Thanks for any help/advice!

Quick Reply: Tires