Tire reccomendations for SF wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Tire reccomendations for SF wheels.

I am planning to get a spare set of SF rims. What tires fit and what are the best as both wet and dry. I live on an Island with really fast and steep mountain passes in tarmac. Bottom of the mountain will be dry and as you climb into the mist belt, roads are wet.

I do not want to be replacing racing rubber every few months, but want something better than the stock commuter tires.

Lets hear it from you Sumo boys.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grahamgower
I am planning to get a spare set of SF rims. What tires fit and what are the best as both wet and dry. I live on an Island with really fast and steep mountain passes in tarmac. Bottom of the mountain will be dry and as you climb into the mist belt, roads are wet.

I do not want to be replacing racing rubber every few months, but want something better than the stock commuter tires.

Lets hear it from you Sumo boys.
I run Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 tires, they are super soft & sticky duel compound radials with plenty on silica in the mix which makes then fantastic in the dry & very good in the wet. I've had mine on for 7000km & not showing much wear & ride like a Sumo hooligan pretty much all the time!!

My second choice would be Pirelli sport demon's, these are great tires that will wear a little slower or last longer as they are a tad harder compound.

btw my D-Tracker benefited immensely from going up from a 130 to a 140 rear, my bike drops into corners much more predictably now at fast riding speeds now.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 AM
1st Gear Member

btw my D-Tracker benefited immensely from going up from a 130 to a 140 rear, my bike drops into corners much more predictably now at fast riding speeds now.[/QUOTE]

Hey Joel. Ok so we got 140.17 rear, ( I assume that is the widest that will fit between the swing arm. ) Whats the size up front?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grahamgower
btw my D-Tracker benefited immensely from going up from a 130 to a 140 rear, my bike drops into corners much more predictably now at fast riding speeds now.

Hey Joel. Ok so we got 140.17 rear, ( I assume that is the widest that will fit between the swing arm. ) Whats the size up front?
Hey Graham,

I got 110/70/17 front & 140/70/17 rear. This size combo fits well & handles great.

The 150 will fit the chain & swingarm but by the skin of it's teeth......the extra unsprung weight doesn't help things & the fact that the rim is just not wide enough, results in to much curve on the tire & strange handling!

Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

My third choice would be Bridgestone Battlax bt90's very good all round SuMo tire.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

yes...110/70-17 front and 140/70-17 rear...best combo...

Old 10-31-2012, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm running the sport demons because I couldn't get the rosso in the 140 rear. Huge improvement in handling.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I am thinking on getting Michelin Pilot Activ. Anyone know how good they are?

The IRC tires are too expensive over here. I got one last year on my first tire change, because I wanted to match the front tire. Now that I need both, I'll get something cheaper.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

This maybe be a dumb question, but the stock rims can only run tube tires right? I can't throw any tubeless on?

Old 11-01-2012, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lawnica1
This maybe be a dumb question, but the stock rims can only run tube tires right? I can't throw any tubeless on?
You can put tubeless tires on all day, as long as you put a tube inside.

Quick Reply: Tire reccomendations for SF wheels.