Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 10:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I was just curious.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Nosy question and a bit off topic, but in the rocky terrain did you ever use a modern trials tire? Just curious. I doubt a modern trials tire would last long on the road, just curious if you ever did one.
Motoz Extreme Tractionators are a trials/enduro hybrid.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I run mostly off road, probably 90/10. A lot of single track. My first set was pirelli XCMH front and back. They did pretty good on and off road. Held up pretty well. Next I went with the Kenda Trackmaster rear and the Kenda Parker DT for the front. Hated the front. Very vague, not predictable at all. Felt fine on the road. The trackmaster was ok. I felt like it wore out quicker then the Pirelli. My current set is the Pirelli XCMR rear again and the Pirelli Scorpion Rally. So far I am really liking the Rally. It feels predictable.

Toph

Old 08-25-2020, 09:18 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topher749
I run mostly off road, probably 90/10. A lot of single track. My first set was pirelli XCMH front and back. They did pretty good on and off road. Held up pretty well. Next I went with the Kenda Trackmaster rear and the Kenda Parker DT for the front. Hated the front. Very vague, not predictable at all. Felt fine on the road. The trackmaster was ok. I felt like it wore out quicker then the Pirelli. My current set is the Pirelli XCMR rear again and the Pirelli Scorpion Rally. So far I am really liking the Rally. It feels predictable.

Toph
You're back east aren't you Topher?...Carolinas? I can see the Kenda Parker Desert front tire not being ideal for that terrain. It is basically designed for desert or at least drier, rockier terrain. I know y'all have some rocks in those mountains over there, but the soil in between seems like real soil rather than scrabbly desert dirt. It also may explain why you like the Pirellis for your terrain. They worked decently in my area and out in NM, AZ, UT, and CO, but they would not last long, and I ripped side ***** on the front regularly. In fact the only tire I've been able to keep side ***** on is the Parker DT. Riding style and such also come into play a little for sure, but I think you guys in your area have real honest to goodness dirt...LOL!

Old 09-01-2020, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

When you say 90% will be offroad, do you mean hard pack dirt? Gravel? ATV (2 track) trails? Single track?

I'm riding about 95% offroad, varying from hard pack dirt, very loose and deep silt (3+ inches deep lately in the desert - we need some rain...), gravel forest roads, and some single track.

I'm digging my Tusk DSport rear. It was a nightmare at first. But once I realized the tire pressure was too high, things have improved significantly. Be advised, it is a stiff SOB...

My front is still stock, and it's...OK. Will be replaced this winter.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, that is true. Lots of dirt and mud. We have a ton of rocks but mostly slippery, wet etc. My main problem with the parkers was lack of feel on the gravel roads. I chose wrong for the terrain I'm in for sure. They held up great though. Still look pretty good, plenty of know left.

Toph

Old 09-03-2020, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Yeah, I'm kind of in the same camp on this idea. If you say 90% dirt, then a decent DOT knobby is probably best. There are a lot of decent DOT knobbies available now. There is no one tire that is perfect or superior to everything else. People ride in different areas with different soils, rocks, etc. How people ride is fairly different too.

I use a Kenda Parker Desert front and a Kenda K760 Trakmaster II on the rear. I ride in rockier terrain most of the time. The main reason I use these is that they've lasted longer in rocks than just about anything while still providing great traction at a great price. Depending on your terrain and how hard you push, it can all vary. Among all the biggies like Dunlop, Pirelli, etc., there are some very good tires. Sometimes the bigger issue can come down to price and wear.
I think I'm going to give the Parker and Trakmaster II a try for gravel roads. Yep another achilles heel of trials tires is mud, they pack up like slicks. I guess the IRC vulcanduros which I've used and liked are not DOT but these look like a great, inexpensive mud tire if that is what you are looking for: https://ircmoto.com/collections/dual...tle-rally-br99