Tire choice is overwhelming! I need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DustyCowboy
The guy over the counter told me the kenda washougal was not marked as DOT. Kenda's website is silent on that matter too...
Important thing to note: the DOT markings may be on only one side of the tire. If the guy over the counter, or guy on the phone doesn't look over both sides of a tire, he may miss it.

DOT approved tires are required to be marked with an identification code that always starts with "DOT". These codes signify DOT approval, obviously, along with manufacturing plant and date information. For example, the front K760 currently on my bike is marked on both sides with DOTK3LU. The rear K270 is only marked on only one side with DOTK3Y3. If I recall correctly, I think my Washougal was marked on only one side.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I'm not sure if it's revenue pressure or what, but in the last 3 years I've had more questions and inquiries from rangers about my tires being DOT than I've seen in all the decades before.
Interesting, for all our 'over regulation' in Canada, I have NEVER once been hassled about the DOT (non)Status of my tires, helmet, lights, fuel or exhaust...

Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member

He just looked in his distributor catalogue. I think it was Parts Canada....

Originally Posted by Lutz
Important thing to note: the DOT markings may be on only one side of the tire. If the guy over the counter, or guy on the phone doesn't look over both sides of a tire, he may miss it.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Interesting, for all our 'over regulation' in Canada, I have NEVER once been hassled about the DOT (non)Status of my tires, helmet, lights, fuel or exhaust...
We had a ranger check everyones bikes for DOT in NJ riding the Pine Barrens.

All of the "roads" there are all paper streets. old old roads that as long as you are street legal you can ride, regular dirt bikes not allowed.

he saw this....
Name:  NE045.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  102.4 KB

Stopped to check out stuff..
Name:  picture009gb0_zpsd90d14fd.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  99.2 KB

Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DustyCowboy
Thank you guys! I went with the Kenda Parker DT (not even in my list!)

The dealer told me the AC-10 would melt on the asphalt like ice under the sun...
And the Trackmaster II was one of his biggest seller.

What ever. He most likley doesn't sell Michelin. The AC-10's are the best DOT full knobby tire I have ever had.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
We had a ranger check everyones bikes for DOT in NJ riding the Pine Barrens.

All of the "roads" there are all paper streets. old old roads that as long as you are street legal you can ride, regular dirt bikes not allowed.

he saw this....

Stopped to check out stuff..
LEO's are only supposed to stop someone if they have cause, which BTW does not include a "fishing expedition" to try and find something! I would suggest cooperating but politely ask for a card and afterwards file a formal complaint! It's the gradual conditioning of this type of action that will take away the rights of law abiding citizens. If this were to happen to a group of Hispanic riders here in Arizona all hell would break out with frenzied claims of racism! ha ha

Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadetreeAZ
LEO's are only supposed to stop someone if they have cause, which BTW does not include a "fishing expedition" to try and find something! I would suggest cooperating but politely ask for a card and afterwards file a formal complaint! It's the gradual conditioning of this type of action that will take away the rights of law abiding citizens. If this were to happen to a group of Hispanic riders here in Arizona all hell would break out with frenzied claims of racism! ha ha
Shadetree, rangers and LEO's in locations like BLM, forest, and parks lands do have the authority to stop and check for regulatory and equipment violations. May not sound right, but it's legal. Cops on "most" all other public roads do have to have probably cause before a traffic stop.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default my choice

Hello,

I'm still using the original dunlop front on my bike, which has covered 4500mls on the road, and off road. |I did however opt for a continental twin duro for the rear which has been great so far for both on and off-road.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by batcave
Hello,

I'm still using the original dunlop front on my bike, which has covered 4500mls on the road, and off road. |I did however opt for a continental twin duro for the rear which has been great so far for both on and off-road.
i have continentals on my car and have had them on a sportbike. Do they have the OEM tire size available? What kind of mileage do estimate to get out of it?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Hello

The rear size is 4.00-18. I'm not sure about the mileage I'll get out of it. I can't see it doing as well as a ds tire but think it'll do about the 3000 mile mark.

Quick Reply: Tire choice is overwhelming! I need your help.