Tire choice is overwhelming! I need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool Does the job nicely

Originally Posted by maquette
"On dirt/rock they seem to hook up pretty good running at 22psi but I'm going to try airing down a bit on loose stuff now that I have a pump to air back up for the ride home. Quote ShadetreeAZ"

Thread drift, how's that pump workin' for you?

Tom
Oriental, NC
Took both front & rear down to about 10-12psi, in the garage close to the air compressor, just in case. Had em both back to 22psi 3-5 min with the new Mountain Morph that TNC recommended. Sweet! I've been reluctant to air down with no way to air up for the ride home. This is going to work for that and flat repair.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
I don't yet have a DOT front tire that I would highly recommend for aggressive off-road. I just haven't used enough to make such a recommendation.
I believe all Kenda MX fronts are DOT. I really liked the Millville sticky I had on mine.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

The guy over the counter told me the kenda washougal was not marked as DOT. Kenda's website is silent on that matter too...

Old 01-13-2013, 07:27 AM
1st Gear Member

On 8/28/2012 7:43 AM, Gus Niewenhous wrote:

Front MX tires are DOT approved.

MX Tires

K780 SOUTHWICK II - Front DOT Approved
K785 MILLVILLE II - Front DOT Approved
K775 WASHOUGAL - Front DOT Approved
K781 TRIPLE - Front DOT Approved
K782 SAND MAD - Front DOT Approved
K772 PARKER DT - Front and Rear DOT Approved
K335 - Front and Rear DOT Approved

KENDA Powersports Division
Gus Niewenhous
Sales and Marketing Manager
gniewenhous@kendausa.com
7095 Americana Pkwy
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068

Old 01-13-2013, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Excellent!

Kenda should really advertise them as DOT. One should not have to ask a representative to know that info. I bet they would sell more of these.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeup, that what I told him.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Are they marked "DOT" on the tire? At some point it's very likely you'll run afoul of a zealous ranger if you do much riding in BLM, forest, or state public lands. I'm not sure if it's revenue pressure or what, but in the last 3 years I've had more questions and inquiries from rangers about my tires being DOT than I've seen in all the decades before. I think most of us know it's not so much the tire being any better but mainly relates to whether testing and certification was obtained by the manufacturer.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
DC, after trying many tires up to this point on my KLX, I've come to the conclusion that the Trakmaster II on the rear is about as good as anything I've tried. Apparently I'm fairly hard on tires in the vein of chunking *****
I had the TMII on the rear at one time and it was the only one that ever chunked the *****; is this a characteristic of the TMIIs?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FM_Thumper
I had the TMII on the rear at one time and it was the only one that ever chunked the *****; is this a characteristic of the TMIIs?
Not from my usage experiences. Like I said earlier, selecting tires for someone else, even on relatively the same bike, is hard to qualify. I've never chunked front ***** like I have with the KLX. I think some of these issues isn't just where you ride but how you ride to some degree. Nearly everywhere that I ride in my home area or out west mainly consists of rocky terrain. You'd think all my rear tires I've tried would be toast relatively quickly and with some **** chunking. Frankly I've been impressed that the least expensive rear tire I've used, the TMII, has been the least likely to chunk and lasts as long as anything else I've tried to this point. I don't ride much pavement, and what pavement I do is seldom over 55mph. Not sure how this compares to other riders. Plus, I don't wail on the throttle in sketchy conditions or rocky ledges and such. My KLX has such good low end, that I seldom slip the rear tire. My front tire does get punished to a fair degree. I braked hard and late with the front. It's the way I've always ridden. Where my race bikes in the past were usually around 250 pounds or less, my KLX is probably around 300. And when I'm out on my traveling trip rides, I carry more stuff than I ever carried on a race bike. I don't compare tire wear on the KLX to any of the KLR600/650's I had, because the KLRs are freakin' boat anchors. I also weigh about 190 nekkid.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Are they marked "DOT" on the tire? .
Yes..

Quick Reply: Tire choice is overwhelming! I need your help.