Tire Balance - How Important?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nornalup
snip...

Thing is once I had done it a few times and used anti-seize they now come off with a 5' adjustable wrench. Safe with anti-seize as one has a pin and the other a bent washer tab.
I'd like to see that 5 foot adjustable wrench. Do you carry it on the bike??

On a more serious note, I always balance my motorcycle tires, both front and rear. On the KLX, I have opposing rim locks on the rear which makes balancing easier.

Ron

Old 09-29-2011, 04:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranger Ron
I'd like to see that 5 foot adjustable wrench. Do you carry it on the bike??

On a more serious note, I always balance my motorcycle tires, both front and rear. On the KLX, I have opposing rim locks on the rear which makes balancing easier.

Ron
Ron, why am I not surprised.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey there everyone thanks for all your input.

I definitely want to get the hang of this tire changing deal by myself, but for a first time change I chickened out. I don't think there is a rim lock installed. I didn't know what a rim lock was so I looked here.

How motorcycle rim locks work and installing them - YouTube good 'ol youtube.

Is this mandatory or for safety should I highly consider it?

By the way, what am I doing wrong with the following. I bought a jack (the ATV one at Harbor Freight) to jack my bike up so I could remove the front and rear wheel. The rear lifts all the way off the ground, but the front stays on the ground no matter how high I raise the bike. I'm thinking of buying the following. MX-LIFT - Steel Motocross Lift - YouTube.

I will get that 1/2" driver at Harbor Freight.

Ynotride, you're on. I'd definitely appreciate learning more! I see you're in Corona. I'm in San Bernardino.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by suberizedwrx
Hey there everyone thanks for all your input.

Ynotride, you're on. I'd definitely appreciate learning more! I see you're in Corona. I'm in San Bernardino.
I'm going to San Felipe, Baja tomorrow for 11 days so I wont have any free time until October 13th. If you can hold out till then you can swing by. I have all the tools we will need to get it done. By the way I did add rim locks to the KLX but so far only on the rear. I havent had to swap the front out yet.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I've never ballanced an off road or dual sports tires and not had any real issues either. I guess if after I got the new tires on I could feel a problem I would but after 20-30 tire changes I've nevr needed to.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

May be important to balance for road riding, and if running budget tires. Had a dirt bike shop spoon on a Kenda 270 on the front. Started to vibrate at 30mph and was almost hopping over 50mph. Took the wheel to another shop and had it balanced on a machine, took 2 1oz. weights on two ajacent spokes, the tire was the most lopsided ever in my personal experience.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

On a KLX, the shop recommended using 2 rim locks, otherwise the balance was way off. Even then there is a lot of balance wt on the rim. On this bike with the soft suspension & at hywy speeds the wheels will start hopping.