Timing chain/gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Timing chain/gears

Has anyone checked thier timing chaing for wear/streching? I was reading the service manual yesterday, it says to change both timing gears on the cams and the crankshaft when replacing the timing chain..... The crankshaft???? wtf.... i was told that is why my bike could be making noise... to check the chain you have to pull it out of the bike, so im thinking instead of just checking it just replace it... Any other thaughts on this? Hey nobrakes what exactly needs done to take the timing chain off? Do you have to take the side cover off and water pump and such? Just asking you because you had urs done... thaught u might know...

Old 12-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Default RE: Timing chain/gears

EMS,

I do not have access to the shop manual where I'm at, but normally the service life of a cam chain is about 60,000 miles or longer.

Do you think this is a bit early for that?

I can understand your concern, but in reality I don't think there are many cam chains changed out in normal operation of a motorcycle.

Just a thought.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Only reason i say that ........ swind from thumpertalk said:

Don't be too trusting in your dealer. My 300 was in the dealer 3 times for a sound that sounded just like yours. They replaced cams, guides, tensioners, shimmed valves,piston,wrist pin and still no change in the sound. I replaced the chain and poof sound gone. Measure the chain stretch before you go any further or just replace it. The chain isn't expensive and it's not hard to install.

Another guy said:

From what ive heard from other people and my own bike all klx's make a noise similar to that (some not as drastic) It seems asif they all aquire a ticking noise after a few miles are put on it. im not sure that the ticking is a very serious problem.

So i dont know what to do... if i should try to change it or just let it tick....

Old 12-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yes, you need to remove the cylinder cap and the right side engine cover. The clutch baskets and so forth are there too and I think that assembly has to come apart to get access to the lower gear. I didn't actually do it - the shop did mine, they just put my timing chain back on that lower gear. I didn't have the gaskets handy and didn't want to wait to order them, otherwise I probably would have attempted it. But I can't speak from experience how hard or easy it is - it looks somewhat involved to me, but I'm not a mechanic. Not necessarily hard, but there looks to be a lot of stuff under that cover to keep track of. [&:] Just take a lot of photos as you are taking it apart so you know how everything goes back together - that's what I do.