Times Are a Changin' And So is My KLX!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Default Times Are a Changin' And So is My KLX!

After a fantastic weekend up in the mountains outside Asheville, NC, I have decided to make some changes to my KLX.

Please do not get me wrong, the KLX performed in a very stellar manner this weekend. However, many of the guys I ride with are hard core and I'm going to need a little "Mo Power" to run with them. So, I've been doing a little thinking about this.

Right now I'm waiting with baited breath to hear about Nobrakes and his 330 cc displacement results. If they go halfway decently, I will probably go that route. For right now, I'll stay with the stock carb, or possibly go with the one from the Suzuki that is a "bolt-on" pumper.

Of course a good skidplate is going to be a necessity. Like I said, I ride with some hardcore hooligans up there and there is no road to rocky to ride. So, the protection on the KLX has got to be beefed up. I'm hoping that USC will come up with a design that looks, fits and works like the CRD one, but at a reasonable price.

I'm coming up for tires, so I have to pull the trigger here soon. Probably going to go with the Cheng Shin 858's. They work in sand, gravel and pavement. That's what I ride, so I think I'll be mounting them up.

In January, we have another gathering up near Tallahassee, Florida. It will be over the Martin Luther King weekend. It will be called "Tour de Apalachicola" and it is another great one. We did this one last year and it just can't be beat. You are charged $8.00 per person per night for room AND board! We have access to a YMCA camp and we sleep in some decent cabins with real beds! The shower is right across from the cabin so it should be an excellent time for all. If you're snowed in and want to get the bike out during the cold months, load it up and come on down!

I'm looking to have the metamorphysis of the KLX250 done in time for our May get together, "Tour de Tellico". This is not too far away from where I was riding this weekend and that's when I intend to make the debut of the KLX330S to everyone. I have not made up my mind about cams yet. I'm leaning towards a set of cams to go with the displacment. We shall see.

So, stayed tuned!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Times Are a Changin' And So is My KLX!

ORIGINAL: Marty
Right now I'm waiting with baited breath to hear about Nobrakes and his 330 cc displacement results.
That makes two of us.

Good news - I have a tracking number ... should arrive today!!! If all goes well, I should have it bolted up by late this evening.

BTW, I'd posted a few FCR questions over on TT and the topic of the 330cc came up and I was questioned about that as most folks there think of the "331cc" being the next step up for the KLX300. I called the big bore shop and it is really a 331cc based on the bore size and stroke length. I don't know why he has it listed as a 330cc, maybe he just decided to round it off. Not that 1cc makes any difference w/regard to performance or anything, though it could make a difference if you are racing and that 1cc puts you above the overbore limit for a particular class or something but I doubt many of us are in that boat. So to avoid confusion, I'm going to refer to it as 331cc which jives with how other shops and the rest of the community refers to it and also what it actually is.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

the stock cc's is actually 249 also...

Old 10-24-2006, 07:42 PM

Displacement on motorcycles is kind of like nuclear weapons - just gotta be close! [sm=roll.gif]

Let's see - KLX300R = 292 cc

ZX-14 = 1352 cc

I kind of thought the 330 kit was actually a 331, but I would have found that out. Good to have all the nomenclature correct though.

Once you get it all put together and if we can't get the smile off your face, we'll know it works!

If you were to start with a 249 cc motor, what is the cost of going right to 331 cc? Will the folks you worked with be able to provie all the parts?

I would like to have "one spot Big Bore Shopping" if at all possible!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Price to go straight to 331cc is the cost of the 292cc cylinder = $310 + $440 for the boring and remaining parts from http://www.Kustom-Kraft.com for a total of $750. That doesn't including any shipping. You could probably work it out to drop ship the cylinder directly to Kustom Kraft to avoid shipping to you and then on to them you might save a few bucks on shipping.

Going direct to 331 also lets you keep running on your 250 and you only have your installation down-time as opposed to having to remove your working cyclinder and then wait for the work to be done and parts delievered. Maybe I'm just impatient, but this has been the longest 2 weeks waiting on these parts ... [&:]

Old 10-24-2006, 09:14 PM

Well, I just sent them an e-mail asking if they would be interested in doing the "Big Bore 331 cc Kit." I'll keep you posted!

Now, do I go immediately with the performance cams, or wait so I can give some insight?

Old 10-25-2006, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Does this place that does the big bore kit offor the 300's cylinder? Would be great if they did so you could buy direct from them and not have to ship it to them.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:18 PM

That is exactly what I am trying to accomplish - you must be reading my mind . . . whatever is left of it!

Old 10-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Price to go straight to 331cc is the cost of the 292cc cylinder = $310 + $440 for the boring and remaining parts from http://www.Kustom-Kraft.com for a total of $750. That doesn't including any shipping. You could probably work it out to drop ship the cylinder directly to Kustom Kraft to avoid shipping to you and then on to them you might save a few bucks on shipping.

Going direct to 331 also lets you keep running on your 250 and you only have your installation down-time as opposed to having to remove your working cyclinder and then wait for the work to be done and parts delievered. Maybe I'm just impatient, but this has been the longest 2 weeks waiting on these parts ... [&:]
Longer than waiting to heal?.........sorry[&:]

Old 10-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes
Longer than waiting to heal?.........sorry[&:]
Yeah, that too. But it's worse when you think you are finally well enough to ride but can't because your bike is now not running ... [:@]

Quick Reply: Times Are a Changin' And So is My KLX!