Time for New Sproket and Chain

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Time for New Sproket and Chain

Greetings All,

I have been gone for a long while but im back and ready to have lots of fun with my bike again. However, I need to replace my chain and sprokets. So of course I have a couple of questions.

1. How will the 13t front and the 47t rear moose sprockets change my current set up, which is 13t/45t?

2. Will the 520 R3-2 O-ring from renthal 114 links fit the 13t/47t or will I need to go up to the 120 link chain?

This is what im looking to purchase. What are your thoughts??

https://www.phatperformanceparts.com

1212-0073 - Moose Racing Chromoly-Steel 13-Tooth Front Sprocket
M601-26-47 - Moose Racing Aluminum 47-Tooth Rear Sprocket

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-Chain.aspx

Renthal 520 R3-2 O-Ring Chain 114 links

Give me your advice before I decide to purchase this stuff.... Thanks for your help in advance....
Thanks GravyTrain

Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I run the 13t/47t and I run a 110 link chain.
It is pretty far back, but it still has another ~1/4" left to go for adjustments.
Hope that helps.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

GRAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What up man? Long time....you and I go waaaaaay back to the beginning of the KLX section, its nice to hear from ya again.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Whats up deej!!! I have been in and out of Iraq and Afgan so its been kinda hard to keep up with all you guys. But im back now for a little while I hope.. Time to get the old Kawi out from storage and do some maintance. I look forward to getting on the thing and rippin it up... Good thing is I only have about 2500miles on mine... hehehe

Old 12-22-2009, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gravy Train
Greetings All,

1. How will the 13t front and the 47t rear moose sprockets change my current set up, which is 13t/45t?

Thanks GravyTrain
It will increase RPM at a given speed, give you a bit more acceleration.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:25 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Is first gear even useable at that ratio? Just asking because I have 14/47 and find it to be about the best combination for pavement and real dirt. I just got back from the Big Bend NP area where it's very fast desert terrain, and then I rode out where we have the Concho Enduro on the Texas state circuit...very tight, rough, and gnarly. The 14/47 was about the best compromise. Now, if one was never going to really run on any pavement for anytime, I can see it. Places where the trail spits me out on a highway to make my loop connection, I find mine only barely suitable to run 60 mph for very long. On the enduro trail, I was able to stay in second on much of the tight stuff, but still have a really useable first gear for the slowest, nastiest techy spots.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

i use to run 13 49. that was really good. first gear would hold on any hill and was slow enough to craw up anything.

im running 14 46 because of i now ride a mix. im staying with this set up because the 351 kit had so much torque lower gears wouldnt make a diffence.

im running a DID o ring chain. 520.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:10 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fgk228
i use to run 13 49. that was really good. first gear would hold on any hill and was slow enough to craw up anything.

im running 14 46 because of i now ride a mix. im staying with this set up because the 351 kit had so much torque lower gears wouldnt make a diffence.

im running a DID o ring chain. 520.
I think you touch on a good point...power. My '06 has everything done to it except a big bore kit, so it has some very strong "grunt" down low and through the entire range. Its first gear in a 14/47 setup can climb just about anything tires will stick to. A stock KLX is quite anemic, and probably needs all the help it can get. So a lot depends on how much and what kind of power a given KLX is achieving to match it with ideal gearing which isn't rocket science.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

This is all good info guys. I went out yesturday and orderd the front 14t OEM sprocked and the renthal 47t black and the renthal 520 R3-2 O ring chain with the 114 links just to be sure it will fit. I think this will be what I stick with since everyone is enjoying this set up.
I am really looking into getting the big bore kit next... I know that there are a lot of poeple that intalled this kit a while ago. How is it effecting the bike performance? and will it effect the life of the bike?

Old 12-23-2009, 05:23 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

GT, I'd suggest doing all the available mods short of a big bore kit first to see how they do or don't satisfy what you're looking for. I don't think you'd probably want to do a big bore kit without those mods anyway, so what do you have to lose? The 351 and other big bore kits have been out long enough to show that there's no appreciably increased wear or diminished durability for the most part. The KLX250 bottom end and other engine components were designed to be at least a 300, so you're not talking about a huge stress increase anyway. Uncorking the stock 250 engine and then upgrading the suspension are probably the first priority items IMO.

Quick Reply: Time for New Sproket and Chain