Ticking Nose

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I call it normal, as did the shop mechanic, but they replaced my Cam and the adjuster on two different trips, and both under warranty. The best solution is to buy the manual one sold by one of the members here, that way you can adjust it while the bike is running and hear when its perfect.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

wellllll.. im almost at 17k and it doesnt make any noises. if something was going to fail it would of done it a while ago dont ya think?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Yeah, I call it normal, as did the shop mechanic, but they replaced my Cam and the adjuster on two different trips, and both under warranty. The best solution is to buy the manual one sold by one of the members here, that way you can adjust it while the bike is running and hear when its perfect.
kriegercamchaintensioners.com

This past weekend my '07 KLX starting making the famous ticking/clacking noise and it sounds really loud to me and one other rider, another rider thinks it is not that loud. Trust me though it is loud. Bike has less than 3000 miles on it.

Just ordered one of the manual tensioners from Mark after reading many threads about it on here and hope it works. I will let you all know how it goes.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MSU_Kawi
kriegercamchaintensioners.com

This past weekend my '07 KLX starting making the famous ticking/clacking noise and it sounds really loud to me and one other rider, another rider thinks it is not that loud. Trust me though it is loud. Bike has less than 3000 miles on it.

Just ordered one of the manual tensioners from Mark after reading many threads about it on here and hope it works. I will let you all know how it goes.
Very excited to hear how your results turn out seeing how we have similar mileage. Also think it sounds very loud and my friend says he can hear it to when we ride low speeds next to each other.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09'Kawi250s
wellllll.. im almost at 17k and it doesnt make any noises. if something was going to fail it would of done it a while ago dont ya think?
Well, let's see....all those Space Shuttles went just fine until....Oh, well.

There are many wear items that obviously need periodic replacement: tires and brake pads for example. Automatic cam chain adjusters ideally should NOT be a periodic replacment wear item, however, the way this one is made, there is excessive wear on many of them. If yours isn't one of them...hooray! If it is one of them, be prepared for some expensive repairs at some point. If I were NOT going to replace mine (I already did), I'd at least take it out to see if mine was wearing excessively, or not. If no excessive wear...great! If there is excessive wear, I'd definitely replace it.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
Well, let's see....all those Space Shuttles went just fine until....Oh, well.

There are many wear items that obviously need periodic replacement: tires and brake pads for example. Automatic cam chain adjusters ideally should NOT be a periodic replacment wear item, however, the way this one is made, there is excessive wear on many of them. If yours isn't one of them...hooray! If it is one of them, be prepared for some expensive repairs at some point. If I were NOT going to replace mine (I already did), I'd at least take it out to see if mine was wearing excessively, or not. If no excessive wear...great! If there is excessive wear, I'd definitely replace it.
good point. i still dont understand how it can really wear though..

Old 08-30-2011, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09'Kawi250s
good point. i still dont understand how it can really wear though..
An Engineer and an experienced mechanic collaborated to determine this does occur in at least some of the units, why it occurs, and to effect an inexpensive and reliable fix to the problem. I just accept that they are smarter than I, and am grateful I was able to put it on my bike.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tay675
Very excited to hear how your results turn out seeing how we have similar mileage. Also think it sounds very loud and my friend says he can hear it to when we ride low speeds next to each other.
I'll let you know how it goes.

I am just waiting for it to come or a confirmation from Mark that he got my paypal payment, it has shipped, etc.

I don't want to ride it much the way it is now.....

EDIT: Got confirmation the manual tensioner is on the way!

Last edited by MSU_Kawi; 08-30-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-31-2011, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
An Engineer and an experienced mechanic collaborated to determine this does occur in at least some of the units,

If by collaborated you mean "Sat around drinking beer and jury rigging something together in the last 5 mins of the night with spare parts and some hardware store bolts" you would be correct.

i keed, i keed.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
If by collaborated you mean "Sat around drinking beer and jury rigging something together in the last 5 mins of the night with spare parts and some hardware store bolts" you would be correct.

i keed, i keed.

That's more like how the Space Shuttle was developed. Mr. Krieger and TNC actually used a pencil and piece of paper At least that's the way I've heard the story...

Quick Reply: Ticking Nose