A Thumper, A Twin, A Four, and a German Shepherd.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:06 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: A Thumper, A Twin, A Four, and a German Shepherd.

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

If it looks like you will be intercepted by a dog, slow down as they approach and then as they get a little closer, speed back up. The changing speed throws them off kilter.
That works very well too. However in my experience, once you slow down, and even come to a complete stop, the dog calms down and loses interest. I think it's just the thrill of the chase.

Unless it's Cujo or one of Michael Vick's dogs, then ride it like you stole it!

Old 08-19-2007, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kawikathy

Yes I saw several at the last second on a single track near Bartlett last week.
Are you guys taking about rattlesnakes? [sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 08-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

You guys are mean! I've had some dogs go after me over the years but I ride with my mx boots so it's no big deal.
[sm=smiley21.gif]
Im not mean..... look, if there is a dog running at me growling and its either gonna be me missing a chunk out of my leg or me kick it in the head im gonna kick it in the head everytime... if its close enough. I lived on my bicycle before i had my drivers license.... and cant tell you how many times i have been chased, ive never had to actually kick one, its been too close though...and ya know what if my dog went running after some one and they defended them selves i dont blame them... i wouldnt be mad at them... its not thier fault it would be mine... Thats one thing that bothers me ALOT... There is a medium sized brown dog someone just lets run around my house, i came out of my garage one day and it growled and barked at me, it was on the street, i was thinkin you just did not do that.... if that dog comes in my yard when my dog is outside and im not..... bad news.... anyway just be responsible and dont let your damn dog just run..... sorry....[sm=rant.gif]

Old 08-20-2007, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, we have a lot of rattlesnakes out here in the desert. The sidewinders have an "attitude", the Mojave's are the deadliest and the rest of them are just waiting in the shady spots for you! Keeps you on your toes!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yes, we have a lot of rattlesnakes out here in the desert. The sidewinders have an "attitude", the Mojave's are the deadliest and the rest of them are just waiting in the shady spots for you! Keeps you on your toes!
Now that's one fast and deadly animal that I don't want to have anything to do with! [sm=noooo.gif]

Old 08-20-2007, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

I don't know if trying to kick a dog while on the KLX is a good Idea. If you miss and he grabs on to your pant leg, You may end up going down. Just sayin'.....May be something that could be practiced but a baseball bat would be the ticket for sure.
I had my boots on, I studied martial art(Kyokushinkai Full ContactKarate), trust me, the dog would've had no chance whatsoever. Please don't get me wrong, I love animals and I wouldn't hurt any animal unless it was in self defense and as a last resort. I'm glad the Dobermann retreated. The last thing I would want to do is to harm him....even though he was probably Cujo's cousin.....
I studied Okinawan Kai also but It's hard to be Jackie Chan while riding my KLX. One time riding home in the dark a dog came at me on my Schwinn and I went to Kick him but realized it was my own German shephard at the last second. I miss my old pal "Pooch" Dumb name I know but He liked it until some hunter mistook him for a whitetail(Forest Rat). Oh & BTW The most important lesson I learned Studying Okinawan Kai was to kick 'em in the *****. Especially when there's 4 or 5 dudes attacking you.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I studied Okinawan Kai also but It's hard to be Jackie Chan while riding my KLX. One time riding home in the dark a dog came at me on my Schwinn and I went to Kick him but realized it was my own German shephard at the last second. I miss my old pal "Pooch" Dumb name I know but He liked it until some hunter mistook him for a whitetail(Forest Rat). Oh & BTW The most important lesson I learned Studying Okinawan Kai was to kick 'em in the *****. Especially when there's 4 or 5 dudes attacking you.
The dumb hunter killed your dog?!?! [:@]

Yup a proper technique for Kingeri(groin kick) is avaluable tool to have in your arsenal for self defense. We used to practice executing it as well as blocking it a lot.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

The dumb hunter killed your dog?!?! [:@]

Yup a proper technique for Kingeri(groin kick) is avaluable tool to have in your arsenal for self defense. We used to practice executing it as well as blocking it a lot.
Yeah Man a hunter shot him on the first day of hunting season. My best friends dog cam home with Birdshot all over him & I found Pooch 3 days later down in a hole near Ole Mr. Hollerins Barn. German Shephards are such great dogs Man......

Old 08-20-2007, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yeah Man a hunter shot him on the first day of hunting season. My best friends dog cam home with Birdshot all over him & I found Pooch 3 days later down in a hole near Ole Mr. Hollerins Barn. German Shephards are such great dogs Man......
Man that totally sucks!

Rest in peace Pooch.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:39 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I had a run in with a pit bull last year, I came to a stop sign and there were 4-5 dogs hanging around, and trust me you'll never find anyone who loves animals more than me, but as I came to a stop one of the dogs a pit bull type, started to come at me from the back, I yelled "NO"! and turned around, as I was looking both ways for traffic, all of the sudden my pant leg was being pulled by that dog! I gave a gentle kick and did a U turn and ran the dog back into a trail and toward what I figured was his house, and yelled (not sure if anyone heard me) "Keep your dog tied up" Anyway that was one, about a half mile down the street there is a Golden Lab, and everytime I ride by he runs out in the street chasing me, the speed limit is 35 and everytime I slow down he sort of backs off. The last time I came by I was prepared, and hucked a rock the size of golf ball at him, I missed, but if dogs make a face, you should have seen the look on his, he was so surprised by what I did, that everytime I come by he sits there in his unfenced yard and just watches me, sort of like a mutual respect has developed. Some day I will try and stop by and get off the bike and see if he will let me pet him, who know maybe we will be friends.

I read over this and started to laugh. It sounded like one of those Deep thoughts by Jack Handy.

Quick Reply: A Thumper, A Twin, A Four, and a German Shepherd.