A Thumper, A Twin, A Four, and a German Shepherd.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default A Thumper, A Twin, A Four, and a German Shepherd.

There is this German Sherpherd that lives down the street from me. He is sometimes roaming free in the streets. He reacts totally different to my three bikes. When I ride by on my KLX(Thumper), he completely acts like I don't even exist. He doesn't even look over. When I ride by on my BMW(Opposed Twin), I draw his attention and he looks over but doesn't really move. When I ride by on my CBR(Inline Four) he goes nutso and barks and starts chasing me. Now this dog knows me as he sees me riding my bicycle all the time and he doesn't even flinch.

The funny thing is, at the speed that I am riding down that street, the KLX is by far the loudest and the CBR probably a smidgen quieter than the BMW, so it's not the noise level that bothers him. Anyone know why he acts this way?

Old 08-18-2007, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: A Thumper, A Twin, A Four, and a German Shepherd.

Could be the color or possibly the "pitch" of the sound of the CBR.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

Could be the color or possibly the "pitch" of the sound of the CBR.
Dogs are color blind so I definitely think it's the sound of the engine/drivetrain/exhaust.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

He probably just doesn't like Honda, bad dog!

Old 08-18-2007, 03:27 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

His tolerance of the BMW is obvious, both being German.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Im guessing its the pitch of the exhaust, the inline 4 has a higher pitch right? Arnt dog whistles really high pitched?

i was riding the KLX down by my parents and there is always a dog on the one corner the idiots just let run free, and sometimes it just lays there, and other days it chases me, well the one day it decided to chase me only for a bit, so i stopped and yelled to the redneck @ssholes "tie your F&%$ing dog up, or next time im gonna kick it in the f&*#ing head." They were standing outside, the didnt look too happy, im sorry, im a dog owner, my dog is 90lbs and can rest his bottom jaw on the dining room table..... so i know all about having a dog.but seriously TIE you god damn dogs up... unless your in the middle of nowwhere off the road.... and a german shepard.... thats a big dog to just let run..... If i were you id ride over to the owners on the klx and stop and say ya know if your dog chases me and its gonna bite me i will do anything neccessary to not get bit..... As you can tell this pisses me off... i have been chased by numerous dogs... its really bad on the mountain bike, cant just drop a gear and twist the grip...... Frickin irresponsible people..... [:@][:@]

Old 08-18-2007, 10:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Frickin irresponsible people.

That is the same way I feel about all those deer owners!!! They suck too

Old 08-18-2007, 10:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I find myself laughing out load when I read this thread.

It's odd that this is the first time I've seen a "dog chasing bike" theme.

My property is a semi-rural 2 acre piece 10 minutes from town center and I have lots of large, nasty-*** looking dogs roaming free in my area. There are 3-german shepards, 2-rottwielers, 1-Ikeda and about 10 other mixed breed pooches who are 90 lbs+.

These "mutts" chase my somewhat loud car every chance they get without exception, but completely ignore my even louder bike.

Not sure if the pitch argument makes sense as the bike is higher pitched than my car.

From what I've seen, (having driven many vehicles; motorbikes, cars, bicycles etc.) past dogs is that my car is the only dog bait I travel in - and sound, color etc doesnt seem to be the issue.

My only guess is that dogs don't like polished, dishy rims... lol

Old 08-18-2007, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Had the same problem with my XR650 - Maybe 'cause Honda translated into German means Alpo?! Come and get it boy - Yum-Yum!

[IMG]local://upfiles/5289/E34DDC4B9120416EA5F542DD6510B230.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That bike sure has some meat to it, beefy!

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

Had the same problem with my XR650L - Maybe 'cause Honda translated into German means Alpo?! Come and get it boy - Yum-Yum!

[IMG]local://upfiles/5289/E34DDC4B9120416EA5F542DD6510B230.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: A Thumper, A Twin, A Four, and a German Shepherd.