Throttle durability after being dropped hard on pavement

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Throttle durability after being dropped hard on pavement

I dropped the bike on the throttle side going about 2 mph after the front wheel slipped on some gravel. Somehow the bike did not get a scratch on it except breaking the brake lever and tearing up the grip. The throttle really slammed hard on the asphalt. It looks like some plastic is cracked on the inside of the grip on the end. How tough is the throttle mechanism? It still works but I am wondering how bad the real damage is to the throttle. Should I just keep using it or get it fixed to prevent it from screwing up on another trip?

Attached Thumbnails Throttle durability after being dropped hard on pavement-throttle.jpg  
Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

IF it turns freely it is fine. A set of guards will prevent that. I do think the throttle assembly on this bike is pretty mick. I am thinking about an after market one at some point.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

What are the best hand guards for this bike? I have been to the acerbis website but it is hard to tell which ones will take a beating. Which model is the strongest. Thanks

Old 01-31-2009, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

"What are the best hand guards for this bike?"
Any of the aluminum guards that wrap around and mount in the end of the bars. They will save levers fingers and throttles. I have the basic ones moose makes.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:22 AM
1st Gear Member

After a friend dumped my bike in my driveway, destroying the left "bug guard" and bending the clutch lever the first mod done to my '07 was to fit a pair of Tusk D-Flex guards, which later saved my throttle controls and brake lever after another friend (OK, I have clumsy friends..) ran the bike off a trail and into a drainage ditch.

You have lots of choices for real handguards and I suggest you get a pair soonest. As for the throttle, I'd ride the bike (oh so carefully) for a few days to see if it still works properly. If not, replace it, just after you fit the guards....

Old 01-31-2009, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redixson
What are the best hand guards for this bike? I have been to the acerbis website but it is hard to tell which ones will take a beating. Which model is the strongest. Thanks
Barkbusters VPS. Dropped the bike at over 80kmh, hardly a scratch. Took the whole fall on the Barkbusters. BTW you're lucky you didn't hit the right hand mirror and damage the master cylinder it fixes to (expensive fix.) Do yourself a favor and remove it.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 01-31-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the moose bark busters. they work fine.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

honestly,

that is a mater of personal choice. There should only be on requirement involved. There is a metal/aluminum bar that mounts from the end of the handlebar to the base of the handlebar. Many people call them barbusters. I think barkbuster is an actualy brand. Then plastic mounts to the bar for wind and weed/branch protections.

I use MSR which sells the plactis in several colors I went with white.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

If you can afford it get a set of barkbusters of your choice also I would get a vortex throttle and a decent set of bars, makes fitting of the barkbusters much easier and they are way more lighter and tougher than the stock bars. Also if you need the mirror I would suggest getting a folding one like was said the miirror is attached to the brake cylinder and could break it in a fall, expensive fix.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I had the Acerbis ones and just took them off and put on a set of the Cycra pro's with the alum bar. I was always mess with the clearance with the clutch with the Acerbis ones, the Cycras have no problems in this area.

Dennis

Quick Reply: Throttle durability after being dropped hard on pavement