Old 11-15-2006, 09:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Thread about Big Gun quality on ADVRider

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131883

Old 11-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Thread about Big Gun quality on ADVRider

ok all these topics recently on big gun quality are not cool... if any of that happens to my system i will be very upset.. pissed[:@]..... i hope they redesigned something or used better materials now.. well now i dont think i will put the quiet core back in at all to reduce back pressure... [&:][&:]

Old 11-15-2006, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

There has been several others but most of them seem to be with the larger bore bikes so I didn't feel like stirring the pot over here but it does seem that BG has problems with some of its models. The KLR 650 models are known for melting the quiet core and it plugs the exhaust as the tip of it folds in on itself, and that is a metal piece but when they posted pics it looked like plastic that had been hit with a propane torch.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

It may just be me, but I did not see in any of those ‘testimonials’ any mention of sticking to periodic maintenance such as repacking or checking the race/quite core on a periodic basis. IMHO if I did not change my oil, tires or adjust my chain from time to time, I would expect that I would have quite a bit to write about how the bike has let me down and is failing all over… As a dirtbike rider for too many years, maintenance is everything to keeping the bike going since we just beat them to death by choice…..just a different perspective.. (POT STIRRING HERE!!!!)

Old 11-15-2006, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

And a very valid point DirtSurfer ... dude ...

bryanjt thats a good point too however I have seen a thread before about Big Gun quality on smaller bikes somewhere on ADV ... just not sure where, personally I won't take the risk on buying something that expensive that so many other people are having problems with ... just my 2c

Old 11-15-2006, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

Maybe I just got a good one, either way I wouldn buy another one in a heartbeat.
Seems with all the bad press lately, you might have to buy another one soon! (Just kidding ... I'm in the same boat as you, so I better be kidding!!!)

I have to go along with the guy from Iowa. As far as the product itself, it seems to be a good quality product, but I don't have a lot of mileage on it, so only time will tell. I was aware of the maintenance requirement, and although I'm a "set it & forget it" kind of person, I went the Big Gun route ... excuse me, "ACME Widget" route anyway. I'm happy with the pipe (Finally!!!) and don't feel that I made a bad decision. I think if I had gone the Muzzy* route, I probably would have been just as happy.

Maybe this is just a high performance product, and as such, requires high maintenance, and long term reliability is an acceptable trade-off for increased performance. (Except in the case of drag racing, where there's too much of a trade-off and the car doesn't even make it 1/4 mile!!!)

So for right now, I'm happy with the pipe, and despite all the information that's been presented, I tend to think that this one will serve me well.

Would I buy another one? Not likely. For me, this is a big ticket item, and customer service is part of the deal. I've already paid way too much in time and aggravation to risk having to deal with that company again -- even if sometimes they do make a decent pipe.

Mike

* Hey EMS, is it Ok for me to say "Muzzy"?

Old 11-16-2006, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

it's the main reason I can ride wheelies through 3rd gear.
I hate to disagree, but I think the MAIN reason you can ride wheelies through 3rd gear is that you only weigh 150 lbs.

LOL

Old 11-16-2006, 09:52 AM
1st Gear Member

i weigh 160 and with the simple mods in my sig i still hafta just about tear the damn handlebars off to get the front end up... hopefully come springtime with a biggun ill have the same results as iowaguy

Quick Reply: Thread about Big Gun quality on ADVRider