Thoughts on my BB options...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

TM36-68 won't fit? No clue where that comes from. I agree with PWJM, do the exhaust and rejet first, then save for a big bore kit and tm36-68. TM gets more power with better mpg and easier tuneability than the tm-34 carb Bill uses. With 351, TM36-68 and a DG slip on (stock header) and no airbox lid, I dynoed at 28-29 horsepower (my dyno chart is on here somewhere).

Old 09-30-2015, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't want to disparage Bill, so I'm going to assume what was actually said or meant was that the TM36-68 isn't a GOOD fit. It's possible he's discouraging using it so that he can sell his remaining TM's but I doubt that's actually the case.

It does actually fit and is perfectly fine to use, it's just a bit short lengthwise. There's only about 1/4 inch overlap between the boot and the flange. Nobody has reported issues and it makes the carb a lot easier to RE&RE actually. There's certainly enough "meat" on it for the clamps to seal up.

The "proper" fitment is achieved by doing what Bill did, adding a sleeve to the spigot to extend it out.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
TM36-68 won't fit? No clue where that comes from. I agree with PWJM, do the exhaust and rejet first, then save for a big bore kit and tm36-68. TM gets more power with better mpg and easier tuneability than the tm-34 carb Bill uses. With 351, TM36-68 and a DG slip on (stock header) and no airbox lid, I dynoed at 28-29 horsepower (my dyno chart is on here somewhere).
The OP bought a TM36-68 on ebay. So, he could do the TM and a pipe and it's probably the rational way to go. Again, many have gotten results this way.

I did the pipe and rejet before going to the BB351, Q4 and TM36 combo. It does power up the bike and offers a nice half step between the no enchilada and the whole enchilada.

On the other hand, he sounds like he's going to do the whole thing so he really should just get on with it and take the bike apart one time. At this point he should just ride it as is until snow flies and then strip and rebuild it over the winter when there's no pressure at all. He is in Canada after all.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya Taxonomy is right, I'd rather so all the internal stuff at once. The exhaust is easy after the fact. I bought a new tm36-68 and it's on the way.

Where is the best place to get jets?

To be fair to Bill, it was a really bad phone connection so maybe he did not hear me correctly. He does not sound like a guy who would steer someone wrong. Very nice guy.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, Dash8..

I don't know if there is any information at all on setting up the TM for a 351 with stock 250 exhaust .. I don't remember ever seeing such information... You may have to wait on the TM install until after you have an exhaust on the bike... You're kinda doing a "ready fire aim" on this..

Old 10-01-2015, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

If you haven't already bought the 351, you better see if you can find a "recipe" for setting up the TM before you do..

Otherwise, you'd better just get a good exhaust system and set up the TM with PWJM's or RichardAvatar's tested/confirmed setups..

Old 10-01-2015, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
If you haven't already bought the 351, you better see if you can find a "recipe" for setting up the TM before you do..

Otherwise, you'd better just get a good exhaust system and set up the TM with PWJM's or RichardAvatar's tested/confirmed setups..
Good point... There's a guy here in Ontario running the bb/tm and stock pipe. I'll see what jets he is running..

And Tax is right again, won't be long before bike goes to sleep for the winter...so I'll have all of the long, cold, ****ty, damn you to hell winter to tinker and fine tune

Old 10-01-2015, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you have a heated work space?

Old 10-01-2015, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by taxonomy
Do you have a heated work space?

Ya. My 2 car garage is my bike shop, little messy right now tho. Got a full lift table, air, impact, pretty well everything. And my buddy has his actually motorcycle repair shop 3 mins away if I'm stuck ☺

Old 10-01-2015, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
Ya. My 2 car garage is my bike shop, little messy right now tho. Got a full lift table, air, impact, pretty well everything. And my buddy has his actually motorcycle repair shop 3 mins away if I'm stuck ☺
OMG, that is awesome. You are set up! This will be a walk in the park.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my BB options...