? for those with acerbis tail light....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:37 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default ? for those with acerbis tail light....

Ok guys, those who have acerbis tail light and flush mount turn signals, what did you guys do with that big recessed part of the fender where the stock tail light went? It seems to mount the tail light high to just cover it up it interferes with the luggage rack. I was looking at the pics of, i think it was deej's bike, and it looks like you mounted it above the recessed part, but when i put mine that high it wont let the luggage rack come down all the way and its resting on the tail light. Is there any other options? some how covering up the recessed part and attaching the new tail light to that? I did also get the same kinda turn signals as others on here, the flush mount ones. When you guys mounted them to the bike what did you do with the gap between the turn signals and the fender? Any help would be good, more detailed pics of installed parts would be even better. I just want to do this right, the main reason i was doing this is because i like the looks better and my license plate light keep getting filled up with muddy water and stuff. I dont really want the whole luggage rack and what ever is on it resting on the tail light. Some help would be GREATLY appreciated... thank you in advance.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ? for those with acerbis tail light....

I stacked three fender washers beneath the fender (spacing the two rear luggage rack bolts about 1/4" higher) to raise the luggage rack just enough to make room for the tail light. The red plastic lens still touches the bottom of the rack, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. The rear of the acerbis black plastic base overlaps the recessed portion fender by about 3/8th of an inch(where the old tail light assembly used to fit). Used two stanless machine screws to mount the black base to the fender, had to drill two new holes where provided on the acerbis black plastic base. I was happy with the result.

I had the same problem making the flush mount blinkers fit flush against the fender. I used black silicone for the gap. Hope this helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2405/661412D5E72446599BEEDECED6A360AD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I just forced the light up under the rack and riveted it. I know its tight, but so far there is no problem. but before I did that I cut a piece of material the same as the front fender extensions, and glued it in the rectangle hole. I used black silicone, but recently it has come loose, so I may have to re-do it.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ok, thats what i was thinking to do is put some washers on the two luggage rack studs to get a little more room.... im gonna have to go looking for something to cover up the recessed part... and i was thinking about using silicone to fill the gap too... that helps thanks guys, another question. on the tail light does it matter what wire you solder to what side on the tail light, i know its a dual filament bulb, so one wire is the runnin light and the other is brake, but im not sure if it matters which one goes where, and i didnt see it in the directions... they are in italian?!?!? well i guess i thats what i get when i get it from ebay for 13$...

Old 08-06-2006, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes it matters, buy a cheap mutlimeter or ask someone with a wiring diagram which wire is which

Old 08-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i actually have access to a very expensive multi meter, but how do i determine which one?

Old 08-06-2006, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I can help.

First determine which wire is the common or ground wire.
This is usually pretty obvious.

All measurements are realative to this wire or connector.

The brake light is the brighter of the 2 lamps.
That means its draws the most current when switched on.
Measure each filament and the one with the lowest resistance is the higher wattage one or brake light.
Use the lowest available range on your meter as both filaments will measure very low resistance.
The lower the resistance the higher the wattage and therefore the bighter the light.
This is Ohms law (E=I x R)
Then determine which wire is which buy turning on the lights and measure where you have voltage.
This is the tail light and is connected to the filament with the higher resistance.
The other wire must be the brake light and this goes to the filament with the lower resistance.

Trust this helps.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:31 AM

I first removed my stock tail light and made a template of the hole with carboard. I then copyed the template to black plexyglass. I used black sealer on the plexy, then screwed down the tail light. The screws for the tail light are not into the plexy but to the sides of it into the fender. Looks great and holds no water where the old tail light was.

Randy