Thinking of pulling the trigger........

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Default Thinking of pulling the trigger........

Well i have been hoovering around here for some time now. Me and my brother are now ready to pull the trigger on a set of dual sports. I'm going with KLX and he is getting the Yamaha. We went and sat on both at our local dealer and the yamaha was waaaaaaay too tall for me, couldnt even hold it up. well what i'm saying is that i cant decide to either get a 2006 from this guy here on the island that is used or just pull the trigger and spend double on a brand new one.......

Dealer said he can get me out the door for just under 6k. take into consideration i do live in hawaii.

the 2006, the guy is asking $2995.

throw me a couple of your thoughts. anything huge that 2009 model has that 06 needed? except for some better stying i see. thanks

charlie

Old 05-27-2009, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

How many miles on the '06? Does it look clean/well taken care of?? I'd save a ton of $$ - buy the '06 and then you have some left over to play with for mods, if that's your thing. You'll need to spend a little to keep up with the yamaha anyway!

~Steve

Old 05-27-2009, 02:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by revtor
How many miles on the '06? Does it look clean/well taken care of?? I'd save a ton of $$ - buy the '06 and then you have some left over to play with for mods, if that's your thing. You'll need to spend a little to keep up with the yamaha anyway!

~Steve
+1 to what Steve said. Kind of a gamble buying used, but when you can save yourself that much money it's worth checking the used one out.
Hey welcome to KF

Old 05-27-2009, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

There are a few difference between the two. The 09 is more a street bike with offroad capabilities (the drop in suspension travel and updated gearbox). The 06 is mroe of a dirt bike that is street capable. The 09 sits lower than the 06, but has different styling and a digital speedo. If I were in your position I would buy the 06, and then spend the money for a big bore kit from Bill Blue. You will still have saved money if you take that route.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Is the 09 fuel injected? If so, the mods are a little limited to get more power out of it. I would agree on the used one if in good shape, and mod it to beat your brother's bike.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I would ALWAYS go for the good conditioned used bike over the brand new one.. These are dual sport bikes. If you buy brand new, the second you drive off the dealer lot it lost $2-3K in value.. Let the original owner get the depreciation!!

Not to mention - when new, you're paranoid about every ding and scratch on the bike.

I bought my 07 with 350 miles on it for about half of what they are new. It's been perfect to me, and I saved $2,500.

Good luck.

Oh, you're a lucky bastard for living in HI!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to kf! I would go for used if it's in good condition. Save your money for the mods that you want to do!!! And you don't have to worry about taking it easy through the break in either. I own an 06 bought it brand new...If I had to do it again I would buy something used and save a bunch of money!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I just bought a new '09. There were some '06 used ones for sale, but I found I couldn't get on them be standing on the foot peg. The '06 would just tip toward me when I stood on the peg. For some reason it's easy to get on the '09 by standing on the peg. I'm not able to just throw a leg over to get on.

There has also been a couple of '09s for sale locally, but they wanted almost the same price as a new one. Apparently they never heard that a dual sport is supposed to depreciate as soon as it's ridden out the door at the dealer.

Norm

Old 05-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, as far as the bike goes, its really a matter of preference. Personally I'm glad to have been able to get my 06 when I did. I have over 11,000 miles on mine and its been a great bike. Are there many areas to ride off road over there? I have some friends on vacation over there this week. They keep sending me pictures of them, one of these years I'll get over there. Do you think I could carry on my KLX on the plane?

Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 PM

thanks for the input, looks like if i can go used and its good bike then scoop it. My motorcycle past is pretty intense, so yes moding the bike will start the afternoon i get it. yes plenty of offroading here on Oahu. we just want something we can jump on, head across the island hit up some trails and stuff then just drive home. hard to find used bikes here, the guy with the 06 hasn't returned any calls, so its either sold or he doesnt want my money. either way the search continues for a used one. I think that is the smarter way to go by saving almost half over a new one. I just like the comfort of a warranty, but not sure if thats even a peace of mind on this kind of bike.

Quick Reply: Thinking of pulling the trigger........