Thinking about buying a KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Helmet

I have an AFX FX39 dual sport helmet and really like it. I wear glasses, and having the flip up shield is usually better than goggles for me. I also have a dirt helmet and wear goggles when the going will be dusty. Also have the old street Shoei from the 80's when I used to ride street (GT380, then KZ/LTD 750). I too gave up riding for a long time, nearly 20 years, before getting the KLX.

Hopefully you know this already, but if not, find a helmet that fits. Fit is number one! They are different.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 01-20-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I use a Fly Racing Trekker helmet on my klx. Its a motocross/street helmet. Has a flip up screen but still looks like a motocross helmet. I highly recommend them. Its less than $150.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
...Honestly, my biggest obstacle is my wife
Do what I did. Buy her a toy first. She can't say squat after that. My old Shoei RF700 is starting to show it's age. I like the Fly Trekker helmet in flat black. I also have a dirtbike helmet.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about buying a KLX250S-img00754-small-.jpg  
Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

"...Honestly, my biggest obstacle is my wife"

My friend once feigned interest in getting a bike so that hi wife would let him get what he really wanted: a Porsche Turbo S. He was successful but the only problem is that now he really does want a bike! *I advised him to go back to his wife with a request for a snowmobile and let her "negotiate" him down to a bike!

Typographical errors by*iPhone

Old 01-21-2012, 02:15 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
Do what I did. Buy her a toy first. She can't say squat after that. My old Shoei RF700 is starting to show it's age. I like the Fly Trekker helmet in flat black. I also have a dirtbike helmet.
Nice!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Default buy used

I echo what others have said about the KLX. I love mine. Plenty of power for me.

As far as your wife. What if you bought a used bike? If your patient you should be able to get an almost new bike for $3,000 or less. I got a basically new 2007 last year from an older guy who just didn't like riding it. I had been checking craig's list for every day for almost two years. The hunt was half the fun. If you're patient, you'll find someone who needs the cash and is selling their bike. The trick is when you find one, you have to have the cash in hand and move fast because someone else will try to get there before you. In my search, I lost one and almost lost the one I ended up buying to guys getting there before me.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:17 AM

I've got a full face street helmet. Full face because if I crash, I don't want to lose half my face. Street because I didn't want to look like a dope wearing a dirt helmet on the street. BTW, spend the extra money and get a helmet with a pull down sun visor. I love mine.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

You might look like a dope wearing a dirtbike helmet riding a street bike. You are riding a dirt oriented street bike after all. A nice dual sport helmet or a dirt bike helmet is not out of place riding a KLX on the street.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
You might look like a dope wearing a dirtbike helmet riding a street bike. You are riding a dirt oriented street bike after all. A nice dual sport helmet or a dirt bike helmet is not out of place riding a KLX on the street.
I used my scorpion motocross helmet for along time before I bought my fly trekker helmet. Only prob usin a motocross helmet on the street is at high speeds, the longer visor catches wind easier. Plus you would have to wear your goggles when riding to protect your eyes better. I'd rather wear a motocross helmet on my klx than using a street helmet. Looks weird

Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I went down to the Kawasaki dealership on my lunch break and got approved for the promotional financing Kawasaki has right now. I didn't talk price with the salesman as I wanted to do my homework first.

What they have is a 2012 KLX250S for $5,000 plus $600 in fees. This does not take into account tax and license. Without knowing their markup, which is presumably **** on a lower priced bike, what do you think I can get a way with offering?

Last edited by Brieninsac; 01-27-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a KLX250S