Thank You

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Thank You

Did my first oil change today. With $100 worth of Service Manual & Supplement, no problem, right? Just a big thank you toeveryone and this forum. With the search menu and your post I got it done. That little spring was a mystery and with a gob of grease, well you know the rest. Merry Christmas to everyone.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:05 AM
kv4
Default RE: Thank You

DID YOU FIND ANY METALIC FLAKES IN YOURE OIL? AND HOW ARE YOU BREAKING YOURS IN? I ASK BECAUSE MY BIKE IS NEW 185 MI AND I JUST BOUGHT THE FILTER AND OIL BUT HAVENT CHANGED IT YET. THANKS.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I hear ya!

Just got my manual in the mail yesterday. There's so much more peace of mindwhen you have all of the torque values, diagrams and such at your fingertip, eh? The manual mentions using grease to hold the o-ring in place, but nothing about the spring. That's were being part of a forum like this can save some headaches...I knowit has for me anyway.

I'm still waiting for my 90 degree bevel geared scewdriver to come in, soI canfine tune the idle mixtureon the Mikuni. BWAHAHAHAAAA! I'mbeginning to feel like Tim Allen.Real close to picking up a scissor lift as well.

ORIGINAL: Fishfinder

Did my first oil change today. With $100 worth of Service Manual & Supplement, no problem, right? Just a big thank you toeveryone and this forum. With the search menu and your post I got it done. That little spring was a mystery and with a gob of grease, well you know the rest. Merry Christmas to everyone.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

BV4,
Oil change was at 150 miles with plenty of metal shavings in the oil. There is different ideas concerning break in but I am using a "modified" factory recommended. After 100 miles I let it get to 5000 rpm. I will be at 6000 rpm at 300 miles. By 500 I will push 7000 and call it done. I'm a trail rider and don't push the limits normally. Another big disappointment, other than the Service Manuals poor oil change directions, was my leftfork was leaking at the seal. All my driving has been on gravel roads. Hope this bike is tougher than that. Called the dealer today, parts are on order.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I know for awhile they were having a problems with forks assembled by one cone-headed worker who thought he didn't need to remove tape from certain areas.

As far as I know, the problem has been corrected, but maybe you own a bike fromthat batch.

ORIGINAL: Fishfinder

BV4,
Oil change was at 150 miles with plenty of metal shavings in the oil. There is different ideas concerning break in but I am using a "modified" factory recommended. After 100 miles I let it get to 5000 rpm. I will be at 6000 rpm at 300 miles. By 500 I will push 7000 and call it done. I'm a trail rider and don't push the limits normally. Another big disappointment, other than the Service Manuals poor oil change directions, was my leftfork was leaking at the seal. All my driving has been on gravel roads. Hope this bike is tougher than that. Called the dealer today, parts are on order.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the site Fishfinder! My left fork seal had a leak too when I first got the bike. I didn't notice it until a day or two after having the bike home.

I dreaded taking the bike back to the dealer because it was prime riding season when I got the bike and I knew that they would have it for awhile. I decided I'd tackle it myself.

I pulled the dust seal down out of the way and tried the 35mm film trick of sliding the film up under the seal to see if I could work out some dust or something. No luck. It still leaked.

Attempt number two I didn't mess around. I took the fork leg out of the triple clamps so I could turn it upside down. I used a feeler gauge to reach way down under the seal and sprayed carb cleaner in it while I worked the feeler gauge around the fork tube.

Well, guess what? There was some kind of waxy packing paper that I got out of there. It wasn't a lot, but it doesn't take much at all for a seal to not seal. [&:]

Here's a picture of the debris that I got out of there. The jets are shown for scale.

Name:  fork_crud.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  48.7 KB

I'm not sure just how much fluid I lost when I had the leak. I think I'll drain and replace the fork oil when it gets colder around here. That way I'll know that I have the right level in each fork.

Good luck on yours! Mine has not leaked, seeped or otherwise misbehaved since I got the crud out from under the seal.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Man that sucks, at least you got that stuff out of there... im glad mine havent leaked... but i think i would have taken a leaky seal on the fork for the problems i have had..... [>:]

HEHE... i passed nobrakes up with this post....