Thank God that Kawasaki has made the new klx better!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Enough putting the cart ahead of the horse for now. Say a prayer for me. It has been 7mo with out a job. It sure would be nice to get back to work!

Steve
Hey, If I knew any prays I would say one.

Good luck man, hope things get better for you soon. 7 months is a long time to be outta work. At least you will have snow plowing to fall back on and help pay the mortgage.

I dont think I could even consider the new KLX. If it had Fuel Injection and maybe 10-12 more HP, maybe. But dam, 20 extra pounds?? WTF

Old 10-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I rode a 250 xcw(i think that was the model) KTM... it was dual sported... it blew the klx away... awsome ride.... because the way KTM's come you can plate any of them pretty easily...even the 105cc....

Old 10-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yea I looked,....only because this thread was reminiscent of IG LOL You know he would buy something and then anything older was junk. You had me going for a second.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I am disappointed in the 2010 KLX. I had been considering a SF to add to the stable, but the fact of the matter is the 250 is underpowered and requires a pipe, jetting and airbox mods to be the way I think it should be from the factory...then I want more. The DRZ was considered, but it's still got a carb and is essentially the same DRZ year after year with new colors.

I kept pining for a KLX450s...and realize they're not going to make it. The European/Asian market loves the 250's, and Kawasaki in the US is focusing on other bikes while phoning it in on the KLX250. Glad they did an '09 update, though.

I think my 2009 purchase is going to be a Versys. Fuel injection, parallel twin, reasonable cost.

Still love my '07 KLX250S but I want modern tech and more power which puts me in the Versys arena. I think I am following the plan Kawasaki wants dual sporters to follow.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:10 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by testify4
Yeah, I am disappointed in the 2010 KLX. I had been considering a SF to add to the stable, but the fact of the matter is the 250 is underpowered and requires a pipe, jetting and airbox mods to be the way I think it should be from the factory...then I want more. The DRZ was considered, but it's still got a carb and is essentially the same DRZ year after year with new colors.

I kept pining for a KLX450s...and realize they're not going to make it. The European/Asian market loves the 250's, and Kawasaki in the US is focusing on other bikes while phoning it in on the KLX250. Glad they did an '09 update, though.

I think my 2009 purchase is going to be a Versys. Fuel injection, parallel twin, reasonable cost.

Still love my '07 KLX250S but I want modern tech and more power which puts me in the Versys arena. I think I am following the plan Kawasaki wants dual sporters to follow.
Wow!...KLX and Versys...dramatically different bikes by a galaxy. I love my '06 KLX250, but for a much, much more road oriented bike, the Versys is darned nice. I rode one earlier this year and was extremely impressed. That motor is terrific.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Wow!...KLX and Versys...dramatically different bikes by a galaxy. I love my '06 KLX250, but for a much, much more road oriented bike, the Versys is darned nice. I rode one earlier this year and was extremely impressed. That motor is terrific.
Yeah, it's a big change. Going from a bike that is light and nimble and great on the singletrack to a bigger bike that's more road, less dirt.

I've been researching a possible new bike for months and kept thinking, "I want a 450-650 motard with fuel injection, street tires, etc." They have them in other markets, or you can build one...but the Versys looks like a nice package right out of the crate. You can fit some more off-roady tires and be able to tackle all of the backroads I ride- not much singletrack out here, and with the stuff I can get to I'd need more gas or a trailer to get home after the ride.

The one thing I liked on my extended Versys test ride is the road manners. Hated the white-knuckle riding on the 60-70 mph pavement on the way to and from the canyon we play in. I know the KLX isn't set up for that, of course, but it got me thinking about a new bike that fits what I ride better.

It's going to be hard to decide if I should keep both bikes- I am worried that once I get the Versys, my beloved KLX might get lonely as a weekend, around-town bike or trailer queen.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Yea I looked,....only because this thread was reminiscent of IG LOL You know he would buy something and then anything older was junk. You had me going for a second.
HAHA Deej... I had to see if I could catch one person who would open the link and think something great was about to be said..

Sorry to let the wind out of your sales bud.

Thank You everyone for the well wishes...Man I hope this ends my drought..

Honestly, it will either be another 07 or it is going to be a DRZ... Will probably go used on the DRZ to save some money on cost.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I guess no one noticed why the weight is more...the manufacturers are now listing curb weight instead of dry weight...curb weight includes full tank of gas, radiator fluid, oil, break fluid, ect + the dry weight..so the extra 20 lbs makes sense since each gallon of gas weighs 10 lbs.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RDHJ
I guess no one noticed why the weight is more...the manufacturers are now listing curb weight instead of dry weight...curb weight includes full tank of gas, radiator fluid, oil, break fluid, ect + the dry weight..so the extra 20 lbs makes sense since each gallon of gas weighs 10 lbs.
That's comforting. We all know the 'dry weight' thing is bogus and not real world. I wish there was a black plastic after market fuel tank available. That would shed some up top weight for sure and blend in with the bike more like the stocker does.

M

Old 10-08-2009, 07:17 AM
1st Gear Member

digital cdi??? does that mean the cdi being a computer is analog on my bike???

and ways $5299 would be great here in aussie land they go for $7500

Quick Reply: Thank God that Kawasaki has made the new klx better!