Testing the waters, Bike For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Testing the waters, Bike For Sale

It's not offically for sale yet. I just wanted to test the waters to see if anyone would be interested in it. 2007, pretty much every mod less suspension valving. I am looking for another bike and am not sure if I will be keeping this one. Probably depends on what I find and what the boss(wife) has to say about it

Highlights: 300cc kit, clarke tank, full muzzy, wer dampner, fcr35 carb, and like I said pretty much everything else. It's been ridden since the pics. Price would be $3900.

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  103.0 KB

Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

..........another deserter...just messing man, I understand, but why not have more than one bike? You know that you will regret it, especially with all the work you put into it. I'm just saying... Whatever you decide, I understand, its all about what makes you happy. I mean after all isn't that why we get married............................twice? Its all about choices, good or bad.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

While I was laid off of work, I tried to sell my '07 out of desperation. The best offer I got was $2,850. 3,400 miles, Bone stock, Mint looking for the most part. The Mod's can help or hurt the sale depending on the Buyer. Location makes a difference too. If you're lucky, You live where there's a shortage of KLX's and lot's of would be buyers. I was quite disappointed in the responses I got trying to sell mine and would never take below $3,000 for it. If I had put all your Mod's into it, that number would be a lot higher. Below a certain amount, you may as well just keep it. Good luck if you decide to sell. I'm glad I found a good job and didn't have to sell.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

from my point of view mods are for personal use only...that money and work you spend putting into it are for your benefit only, they have zero resale value.

curious, how are you running that in PA with no turn signals? I assume you run it on the road because it has a plate on it.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Only resale value on mods is ebay craigslist or the online forums.

Part out the mods, drop the price. You will see more $ in the end.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Can we see the front of the bike? What headlight, front and rear fender is that?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I thought $3900 was high. I understand the cost of the mods, but unless you have a knowledgeable buyer who knows exactly what you have done, and understand the exact value of the mods. Its a tough deal.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

UFO headlight, had to get it direct from Italy. Front fender is kx250f, rear is a Maier klx300 mx.

I know mods don't hold there value. Like I said, I was just testing the waters to see if anyone was interested in it. For someone looking for a klx that has most of these mods it would be a good deal. I am not in a position that I need to sell the bike either. It may just end up getting turned into supermoto duty. Its basically if someone wants it, I'll sell it, if not, no big deal either.

Here are a couple headlight shots. One is a little older, but still the same light.

Name:  DSC02877.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  96.6 KB

Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I always thought yours was one of the nicest looking KLX's, 2k.

To come up with a price, when I sold mine I went on Kelly Blue Book and noted the current value for a "stock" bike in whatever condition it was in. I have no idea what the current value would would be, but just for the sake of argument to use some numbers, lets say KBB suggests $2500. Since the bike was $5000 new, I figured that would be 50% value. I then totaled up my mods, whatever they came to be, and depreciated them by the same amount. So using the above example, and if you had say $2000 in mods, I would devalue them by the same 50% down to $1000, and add that to the KBB suggested $2500 price for a total of $3500. And that is what I would set as the starting point, "pre-haggle" price, +/- as you see fit. Got to be willing to negotiate if you want to sell it, though. But I thought that was a fair formula to get it into the ball park to start with.

If you choose to sell, good luck!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
I always thought yours was one of the nicest looking KLX's, 2k.
Thanks Brian.

If you go by your method I am pretty close in the ballpark. We'll see what happens, suspension is getting valved in the next week or so. That might be able to get me through this season.

Quick Reply: Testing the waters, Bike For Sale