Terrible gas milage (on big bore EFI KLX)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nikolaj Lykke
Duriel I dont want 65mpg, just 55mpg like TNC is getting with a similar setup would make me happy

The fact that I am getting 40mpg seems to tell me something is wrong.
I wonder, you may be on the lean side, i.e.leaner than what results in best fuel economy?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I've now spoken to Dobeck performance who makes the EJK controller (as well as the two bros controller and the wiesco controller).

I explained the issue to them and they suggested that I change the controller settings for when "Accelleration" mode switches on. Basically, the EJK controller works like a caburator and Accelleration mode corresponds to the Needle Jet on a Carb. It seems as if though Accelleration mode is in effect too much, even when cruising and thus it hurts the fuel economy because it delivers a lot more fuel in that mode. (I think)

Based on the advice from Dobeck, i've changed Accelleration mode to come on as late as possible. I am going to monitor my fuel consumption and then see if it has an effect. If it does, I will gradually turn the Accelleration mode down to come on earlier, until my fuel consumption/performance is at an acceptable level. I am not trying to get great milage here, I just want the bike to run like its supposed to.

I am going to see how far I can get on a full tank before changing any other settings. However, I must say that I am now scared the bike is running lean. Although there is no popping on deaccelleration of surges, I am still worried that I will end up damaging something. What other symptoms are there of a bike running too lean?

So far, the bike seems to be running alright, I feel no surges, choppy throttle or anything like that. Perhaps I have lost some power, but I am not entirely sure. My butt dyno isn't very accurate.

Last edited by Nikolaj Lykke; 04-25-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:49 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are lean the spark plug will be white

Old 04-25-2014, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

What reasoning does indicate that it is lean?
You might as well blame it on the moon being in recession.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
What reasoning does indicate that it is lean?
You might as well blame it on the moon being in recession.
Not sure what you mean, but I would think that it might be too lean because I turned down the amount of fuel it gets during accelleration significantly. It runs mostly on "cruise" mode where it previously ran mostly on "accelleration" mode. I am afraid "cruise" mode might not deliver enough fuel...

But I guess we will see. I have no immediete lean symptoms so lets just hope my bike doesnt blow up.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I get 115-130km from tank full to light on. That's with very little easy or cruising style riding!

I've had mine running so lean (in between MAPS) that the bike was making ridiculous popping noises on deceleration & the exhaust side on the engine was uncomfortably hot when riding in shorts!

So i'm betting if there's not much exhaust popping or excessive heat from the engine, then your not damaging the bike. I just clocked up 20k on my speedo last month & i give the bike hell & then some!

Old 04-26-2014, 07:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Amazing that you get that kind of milage with 331cc AND webcams Joel!

Anyway, i've changed the settings based on dobecks feedback. So we will see how it goes. I can definietly feel the engine is running hotter now, but there is no sputtering or popping noises.

Not sure if it had any effect on milage yet as I only did 60 kilometers since. I hope to take it out today though.

Guess it will take me a week or two to fine tune it.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nikolaj Lykke
Amazing that you get that kind of milage with 331cc AND webcams Joel!

Anyway, i've changed the settings based on dobecks feedback. So we will see how it goes. I can definietly feel the engine is running hotter now, but there is no sputtering or popping noises.

Not sure if it had any effect on milage yet as I only did 60 kilometers since. I hope to take it out today though.

Guess it will take me a week or two to fine tune it.
I am going to watch your progress keenly. My 331 with EJK is running well but around 100 to 110 K's I need to re fuel if I ride hard. I had much better as a 300 than 331, but I am also riding it a lot harder as a motard now.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Update:

By changing Yellow-Blue/accelleration/Needle Jet setting all the way to the right (8). I immedietly saw a huge improvement in milage. From 40mpg to 52mpg(22.5km/l) Huuuge improvement, but not nearly where I want it. I am on my second tank now and once it is done, I will try to also change the Red-Blue/WOT setting all the way to 8 and see what it does.

Once I get acceptable milage, I will slowly turn the settings down again and see what happens to fuel consumption and power.

It certainly seems that the EJK controller's stock settings are way off for the KLX292cc.

Graham: I do not understand how you did not get terrible milage with the EJK back when you had the 292cc piston. The stock settings seem to be WAY off. I was actually thinking maybe they had been tuned for the 331cc and the people at Dobeck might not have realized it.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Nikolaj, on my 300, if I remember correctly, I used a different GB setting. Cruise and acceleration are set to work together on the newly published base settings on the EJK site. In my mind this would be very rich on a 300. Unfortunately I did not record my 300 settings. On the 331 my starting point was the published base settings. I am now slightly richer on Green an Red, but still not certain that it is correct, but running fine for now, just sucking gas. I am going to make a concerted effort to take time and fiddle some more.

Quick Reply: Terrible gas milage (on big bore EFI KLX)