Temperature gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
Lol, funny thing is, I didn't find it derogatory at all, maybe I don't get *** hurt as quickly as others

Wondering if it's better to get a water temp, or a cylinder head temp? I also found these:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ature-Stickers

Not as in your face as a readout, but much cheaper, and apparently easy to take a quick look at. Racers use them on rads and cylinders.

From what I understwnd about the thermobob, all it does it keeps the temp at 185 as opposed to say 160. Does this keep it cooler? If it rises to 200 does the fan come on sooner? Again, all I see it doing, and it is good, is keeping everything a uniform operating temp of 185.

Funny I can't even find a cheap China temp sensor... They make everything lol

I didn't know you could say *** here... *** *** ***!

I know, it's a typo...

Go to the site and look, it holds the cylinder temp more consistent in general at lower temps where the thermostat is not fully open. After that, all is like the standard set up. The point that got me is in the warm up time or any other times when the thermostat is closet look at the temperature chaos top to bottom of the cylinder. The thing is going to have a cone effect with the top expanded at the higher temp versus the lower being at the low temp. There is a reason car engines have bypasses to allow coolant to circulate when the thermostat is closed and that is it.

From there I'm relying on movement, the fan, and the temp switch to do the cooling for me. All the off roaders running without fans give me faith that ain't bad.

I will say I used to block one radiator on the 650 during the winter to allow it to warm properly. It is likely harder on an engine to run too cold as to run a tad warm. The reason we told all two stroke buyers to not ride their bike until the radiator had some heat. Lots of people have cold seized liquid cooled two stroke MX bikes by jumping on them and running the snot out of them before the cylinder could warm up properly.

As for the stick on thermo gauge, I'd blow the other $30 and get the Vapor gauge. Go big or don't go!

Last edited by klx678; 11-08-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I didn't know you could say *** here... *** *** ***!

I know, it's a typo...

:
Actually, wasn't a typo..lol....better than butt hurt

Old 11-08-2015, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording
Something like this maybe?

Digital Motorcycle MotoBike Volt OIl/Water temp Gauge Meter LED Waterproof 3in1

If you search "Top Gauge digital motorcycle gauge", there's another model that's just the temp and voltage.

Just realized the company is local to me. Selling for about $25 here.

I'm trying to figure out if that temp sensor would be a simple plug and play thing or if I'd need to splice a hose or something? One of their pics looks like that. Some type of inline metal piece with the sensor in it.

Hey Outrecording, did you order one of those temp gauges? I'm still trying to find out whether it's better to get a coolant or head temp unit...

Old 11-08-2015, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
Actually, wasn't a typo..lol....better than butt hurt
Now I get it...

The proper term in mixed company is... Wait for it....

Monkey Butt!

Last edited by klx678; 11-08-2015 at 11:01 PM.