TCI windscreen installed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Question Pictures of klx250sf after market windshields

Hi, I'm looking at windshield options for my 2009 KLX250SF. I stay on the road at this point. The wind currently hits me too much in the chest, and I would like to route the wind just over my shoulders (that is, I do not want I really tall windshield - just more protection). I did some searches online. It seems that Bing/Google do not have very many pictures of such setups. I want something that looks like it was built for the bike. Thanks, Van

Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

You can order just the windshield brackets from TCI for $60 (smokin' deal) and cut your own shield. This is what I did on my Husky.

Name:  6-2-12036a.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  235.2 KB

Name:  6-2-12041a.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  355.8 KB

This is the TCI shield for comparison. It offers great protection on the highway and it's still well below your line of sight when riding. I wanted something smaller for aesthetic reasons so moved this shield back to the KLX.

Name:  2-29-12_005.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  9-29-11_003.jpg
Views: 2369
Size:  68.9 KB

Last edited by DYNOBOB; 07-17-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Default custom-sized windshield

DYNOBOB, The self-cut, customized shield on your Husky seems to be the perfect size - nice! I do not think I'm interested in building my own. I think I can live with the TCI shield. I really appreciate the high-res pictures.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Dynobob, what did you use to cut that, and how difficult is it? I'm tempted to trim my TCI windscreen a couple of inches. I keep hitting my helmet on it when offroad...

Old 07-19-2012, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Bill, I cut my plexi/lexan? shield with a jig saw w/ fine blade, then sanded the edges. I traced the TCI shield on the plexi and started shrinking it. I'm not sure on cutting the TCI shield, I didn't have the nerve to cut a $140 piece of plastic. There is a guy on the husky forum that cut his TCI shield, I could ask him.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DYNOBOB
Bill, I cut my plexi/lexan? shield with a jig saw w/ fine blade, then sanded the edges. I traced the TCI shield on the plexi and started shrinking it. I'm not sure on cutting the TCI shield, I didn't have the nerve to cut a $140 piece of plastic. There is a guy on the husky forum that cut his TCI shield, I could ask him.
That would be great if you get a chance!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

This was his response to how he cut...

VERY carefully.

Seriously, I have a bench-mounted scroll saw from my RC aircraft building days. I cover the top of the saw table with duct tape so it doesn't scratch the acrylic. Mark it off with a sharpie, and use the low speed setting on the saw. Then finish up with file and sandpaper down to 400 grit. Looks factory finished. Takes about an hour to do one. Acrylic is quite difficult to cut because of it's low temp melting point. Lexan is a breeze. I made up another one of the same shape from a flat sheet of .023 lexan from 'depot. The bend in the mounting tabs is just enough to curve the lexan to the right shape. It is also unbreakable but scratches easily. Johngil is running one of this type.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DYNOBOB
This was his response to how he cut...

VERY carefully.

Seriously, I have a bench-mounted scroll saw from my RC aircraft building days. I cover the top of the saw table with duct tape so it doesn't scratch the acrylic. Mark it off with a sharpie, and use the low speed setting on the saw. Then finish up with file and sandpaper down to 400 grit. Looks factory finished. Takes about an hour to do one. Acrylic is quite difficult to cut because of it's low temp melting point. Lexan is a breeze. I made up another one of the same shape from a flat sheet of .023 lexan from 'depot. The bend in the mounting tabs is just enough to curve the lexan to the right shape. It is also unbreakable but scratches easily. Johngil is running one of this type.

Good info, thanks! Hmmm, so if I screw up, I can just buy some lexan and start over...

Old 04-11-2022, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by BillMoore
I just installed the TCI windscreen on both of our bikes (my wife has a Honda CRF230L). Very easy install on both bikes. Took maybe 15 minutes to install on the Honda and 45 on the KLX.

The KLX took longer because I had to figure out how to work around the ProTaper bar riser, but in the end came up with a simple and easy solution. No modification was required to either the riser or the bracket, it is just ever so slightly tweaked sideways from the stock location to clear the bolts for the riser, and clamped between the two sections of the riser. The riser is a universal model designed to work on both 7/8" and 1 1/8" bars, so there was enough of a gap to securely clamp the bracket. I just had to be careful to gradually tighten both bolts together to avoid over-tightening the side that was clamping.

The windscreen looks great on both bikes, and should be a nice addition. I really like that it takes about 3 minutes to remove it for hitting the dirt...
What model did you purchase?