TCI windscreen installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default TCI windscreen installed!

I just installed the TCI windscreen on both of our bikes (my wife has a Honda CRF230L). Very easy install on both bikes. Took maybe 15 minutes to install on the Honda and 45 on the KLX.

The KLX took longer because I had to figure out how to work around the ProTaper bar riser, but in the end came up with a simple and easy solution. No modification was required to either the riser or the bracket, it is just ever so slightly tweaked sideways from the stock location to clear the bolts for the riser, and clamped between the two sections of the riser. The riser is a universal model designed to work on both 7/8" and 1 1/8" bars, so there was enough of a gap to securely clamp the bracket. I just had to be careful to gradually tighten both bolts together to avoid over-tightening the side that was clamping.

The windscreen looks great on both bikes, and should be a nice addition. I really like that it takes about 3 minutes to remove it for hitting the dirt...

Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Is the windscreen available for a 2007?

Old 03-09-2012, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Their website only shows it for 09+, so I don't think so.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

And here are some pics. First one shows how it is clamped...

Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks good and I like it. I would not put one on my bike for trail riding but since most of my miles are on the highway I would love to have one. I kind of get tired of eating bugs.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I would destroy that on the first ride. lol

Old 03-09-2012, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks good Bill! I ran into the same thing adding bar risers after I had the windshield...

The TCI brackets are very strong, you're not going to hurt them easily. In fact, they use plastic bolts to mount the Implex windshield to the brackets so that it will break off if the rider hits it in an accident.

Last edited by DYNOBOB; 03-09-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Looke great Bill, I had a nice small windshield once, and it snapped in half when I hit 60 mph... Now I see why they have braces half way up. I thought I could get away with a free standing system...FAIL!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone! My riding is about 60% pavement, 30% dirt forest roads, and 10% easier trails. When I do go offroad, I will remove the windscreen to avoid breaking it. Takes less than 5 minutes to remove...

Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I will tell you there is another trick for a small shield to block the wind, yet be quickly removable. Use a National Cycle Deflector Shield with the quick release mounts. I've used one for several years now. About $100. I fitted it to the crossbar. Here are the shots that show it.

I had to slightly trim the bottom edge to get a nice fit to the headlight fairing. Here is the shim set up:

The shim set up is some PVC water supply pipe and some plastic wrap usually used for braided brake line protection. It holds solid, the windshield rake is easily adjustable and can be removed for cleaning, then the whole set up can be removed quickly at the mount *****.

That little "postage stamp" knocked enough wind off of my chest I could ride in 10 degree lower weather (30 degrees F). It's also pretty much out of the way even for some mild trail riding.

So there's another option.

Quick Reply: TCI windscreen installed!