TBR M7 slip-on is now only ‘excessively loud’

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default TBR M7 slip-on is now only ‘excessively loud’

I run the Two Brothers Racing VALE M-7 Slip-On Exhaust on my SF. It came with the P1 power tip which resulted in an unreasonably loud exhaust noise. I define “unreasonably loud” as making it difficult to hear a straight-pipe Harley in the adjacent lane, and eliciting the thumbs-up from its rider!

My municipality is going to be deploying roadside photo-decibel meters which will snap the license plates of any vehicles driving past which emit >96db. A $500 fine will then be mailed out to offenders. Regardless of legislation, I am also not a believer that “loud pipes save lives”, unless of course we are talking about wildlife on rural roads, in which case a moderate db increase over stock pipes will usually do the trick. I derive no satisfaction from forcing my noise on others in town.

I therefore purchased the P1X tip, meant to reduce the noise of the M-7 by 7-8db. It arrived yesterday in the mail and my first impressions were that the build quality of the P1X tip follows the high standard of the M-7 series. I was impressed with the machining and anodized finish. It also installed quickly as advertised with nice tight tolerances.

Having taken it for a test run however, I find noise levels now only excessively loud. I define “excessively loud” as having high probability of waking neighbours. I am unsure whether I am now under the 96db limit, but I wouldn’t bet on it!

I offer this post as information for anyone considering the TBR M-7 can or the P1X tip, either because you DO want a loud pipe, or DO NOT want a loud pipe on your KLX.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Where do you live ? so i can remind myself never to go there.

I'm not a fan of big loud assed pipes either but this nanny state crap is going to far.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I experienced the same results. Started with the P1, (came with the bike) purchased the 'reduced decibel' tip that supposedly results in a 6 or 10 dB reduction.

It's a little better, but not by too much. The Two Bros is a LOUD pipe.

At least with my jetting mods I've gotten rid of most of the loud pop on decel.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
My municipality is going to be deploying roadside photo-decibel meters which will snap the license plates of any vehicles driving past which emit >96db. A $500 fine will then be mailed out to offenders..
Either your municipality is generous with the sound or they don't know what they're doing. The 96db limit on government lands is a reading taken 20" from the end of the exhaust pipe with the engine at 50% of the peak horsepower RPMs. A drive by reading will register much lower on the sound meter.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 06-10-2011, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I will trade you my stock pipe for your M7... Might add some cash too

Old 06-10-2011, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Good on you for wanting to tone it down...

Ron

Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I recommend checking out the P3 tip. It's been discontinued but still is available out there. I had one on my 2 bros exhaust, and I felt it was much quieter than the P1X. But in the end, I still felt that was too loud, so I sold the thing and got a completely different exhaust that I feel is perfect (KLX300 exhaust, with a custom outlet bolted to the muffler).

Old 06-10-2011, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

that is the reason im trying to get a 08 kx250 pipe to work

Old 06-12-2011, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

wildcard:"this nanny state crap is going to far"
Brewster: "either your municipality is generous with the sound or they don't know what they're doing"
--------------------------------
I agree that more legislation on anything is the last thing we need. We should all be able to govern ourselves under most circumstances. That's why I am not a fan of loud pipes. They are just a sign that we as bikers are unable to self regulate and thus, they attract legislation of us.

While I think it's fair to say that my municipality doesn't know what it's doing, they are also probably being generous based on the noise that their own fleet of buses make!

Old 06-12-2011, 01:42 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Most of these exhaust ordinances that municipalities have been passing in recent years have been in response to Harleys and metric cruisers with unholy loud pipes for the most part. That's not to say a KLX or other DS bike with an aftermarket pipe couldn't be caught up in a situation. However, most enforcement incidents occur like this. An officer is working and hears a very loud motorcycle or car. He's equipped with a db meter, so he makes a probable cause stop and tests the bike...ticket or no ticket. The kind of noise in this category is going to have to be pretty raucous to get most people's attention...and let's face it...there are quite a few goshawfully noisy cruiser bikes out there. A DS bike and even a sportbike with an aftermarket exhaust surprisingly don't usually make the level of racket that these stupidly loud cruisers make. A sportbike, even with a less restrictive aftermarket exhaust, usually doesn't make a lot of noise unless the rider has it wound up. That's the oddity of a 4-or-more cylinder high performance engine like they have, and open pipes on performance sportbikes actually aren't very common because they don't work well. Those big twins with open or nearly open pipes can absolutely hurt your ears sometime, even at the lower rpms. A KLX or other DS bike with an aftermarket exhaust might sound quite loud to the rider on the bike, but they really don't even get into the ballpark with the noisy cruisers from a cop's perspective.

Quick Reply: TBR M7 slip-on is now only ‘excessively loud’