Taller bigger rider - handlebar and riser question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Taller bigger rider - handlebar and riser question

Will be posting a pic of the bike soon, but I'm just not done making it "mine" yet!

I'm 6'3", and 240. I love how nimble this bike is for my frame, but.....yes, I'm cramped. It still has stock bars/grips. My research suggests that for me, getting the Renthal RC high bars AND risers would be ideal. Then I can get them up, and swept forward. I'm curious as to the thoughts of the more experienced. Also, with the Renthal RC high, what size riser would you all recommend. I'm doing my best to get the ideal, of course, but ordering is tricky cause I live in Alaska!

Thanks much, happy Wednesday!

Matthew

Old 03-21-2018, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

These are what I used to raise the bars. https://bikemaster.com/handlebar-risers.html
Bigger and wider bars combined with bar risers might require longer cables.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. Did you stick with the stock bars?

Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

2 inch risers and kx high bend bars are perfect for me. I have some slightly used +3 cables from motion pro if you need to buy longer cables

Old 03-22-2018, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I went with high bars and 3 1/2” risers. I’m also 6’3” and about 10 pounds heavier. After some research, I wanted my bars setup so they’re perfect when standing. (There’s a great read out there somehwere about it. Think I still have the link saved) It’s really a PITA to be all bent over when standing.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
These are what I used to raise the bars. https://bikemaster.com/handlebar-risers.html
Bigger and wider bars combined with bar risers might require longer cables.
I bought and are using these same exact risers. But I only used 3/4” rise with mine. This riser set has different amounts of rise which is why I got them. Tusk makes the same type but with a fixed height. You buy the size you want. There are all different types out there.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Tacoma 660! I might take you up on that.

I also love to ride standing up, and bending over just ruins everything!

So, risers - I think I got that. I'll get the adjustable ones linked. Thank you all.

Are we in agreement that the stock bars are also in need of replacement? If so, if I get tall bars and risers, I wonder if it will be too much. Perhaps risers, and some standard bars that are lighter and stronger?

This forum is pretty damn amazing - very active and responsive, and I appreciate that. There is also a feeling of community.

Thanks much,

Matthew

Old 03-22-2018, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Done.
I ordered the Renthal RC Highs and the Bikemaster risers. Lets see, I might need those cables after all.

Thanks again you all.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

new from motion pro is 150, since mine are used id do 90 shipped plus if you want i have br high bend risers in 7/8 and 1 1/8 both black could do 30 for the bars

Old 03-22-2018, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I run 2 inch risers plus rc high bend and i love the position standing and sitting. Sitting i can get more aggressive in the corners

Quick Reply: Taller bigger rider - handlebar and riser question