Swingarm Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Good call gary. I had to replace my lower steering stem bearing and race.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I am going to be checking my bearings in the next couple of weeks. I bought the bike brand new in 2009 and have washed it numerous times with a power washer along with taking it through creeks and streams and I really was not careful with the bearing and seals at all. I'll update this thread with my results.

I have about 5,000 miles or so on it now and don't notice any negative effects.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
I did this swingarm greasing today...there are many other bearings to grease than the ones posted on here. There are bearings in the lower shock mount, and in both the dog-bone connections, the main bearing of the leverage link, and the lower bolt that goes through the main leverage link.

All the bearings looked fine, as did the seals. But, the BOLTS had corrosion on them, especially the dog-bone bolts.

This is known as a must-do on KLR's. I think it should be considered a must-do on the KLX's, too. It doesn't take long by yourself...all you need is a way to jack the rear wheel off the ground, cleaner, grease, and the appropriate Torque wrench.
The rocker arm bearings were done in a separate thread.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...bearings-7242/

Old 02-17-2012, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
The rocker arm bearings were done in a separate thread.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...bearings-7242/
HA! I couldn't imagine how someone of your mechanical aptitude would have missed these bearings...now, I see you didn't, you just chose to give them their own page.
It really is amazing how little grease they use...same on the KLR650's. I guess it saves them 1.00 per bike at the factory?

Old 02-17-2012, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
I guess it saves them 1.00 per bike at the factory?
I doubt it's anywhere near that high an amount. More like pennies.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
I doubt it's anywhere near that high an amount. More like pennies.
Yeah, I bet they prob just have a hot vat of light grease and just do a dip and let any excess drip off. When I did mine there seemed to be no more than a light coating of something similar to Vaseline-like grease.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I attempted to change my front tire today only to put a hole in my tube in the process. The good news is the front wheel bearing is in tip top shape! It had a lot of grease on it compared to what people here have been saying about them. Maybe its because mine is an SF? So far I think if the front wheel bearing is fine the rear will be too along with the swing arm bearings.

Pretty crazy because I have done everything you're not supposed to do when it comes to maintaining bearing life.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fenrir51
So far I think if the front wheel bearing is fine the rear will be too along with the swing arm bearings.
That is what is known as a quantum leap in logic....I sincerely doubt that the worker that put grease in your front wheel bearing is the one that put your swing arm bearings in place. Hey, it's none of my business, though!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Where did I say I was not going to check every bearing? Oh that's right I didn't.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Pulled my 09 SF apart this weekend. All bearings were close to dry. Nice and greased now.

Quick Reply: Swingarm Bearings