Swingarm Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by brooksie
After going through the process of removing the swing arm, do you think it would be possible to drill/tap a zirc fitting to each point?
Great photos on this job. Makes it easier to tackle when you see how it's done.
I'll have to find the link. I bookmarked "how to install zerks on a KLR 650" somewhere. If I recall correctly some of the bearings have to be pressed out and later back in. But once it's done just hit all the fittings with a pump or two with the grease gun after every ride.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Great thread. This should be a sticky and put in a How-to section.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
If you dont pressure wash, your bearings would not need to be packed each year. You got a dirt bike, leave the dirt on it, except for the big pieces, it ain't going to hurt it. I wash the big chunks off with a hose if I ride in mud, but dont' get too worried about a little dirt staying on it.

I chuckle everytime I see a pristen clean dirt bike, are you crazy? .... or pickup truck!

I'm with you man keep it a little dirty to keep it working!--- that is if you ride it hard!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking I need some Zerks, push out the bad juju's!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
I'll have to find the link. I bookmarked "how to install zerks on a KLR 650" somewhere. If I recall correctly some of the bearings have to be pressed out and later back in. But once it's done just hit all the fittings with a pump or two with the grease gun after every ride.
You'll find the Zerk article on Watt-Man's article page: Information, Articles

Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Seems like a logical idea, especially if you plan on keeping the bike for a long term. Great stuff!!!!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
You'll find the Zerk article on Watt-Man's article page: Information, Articles
That's the one.

Direct path:

http://www.watt-man.com/uploads/ZerkInstallation.pdf

Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Im not so sure i like the idea of those grease fittings. Its hard for me to believe that it would effectively grease the bearing completely. If you are using the vent holes to let the air out when greasing the grease would "short circuit" the whole bearing and grease would head right to the vent holes from the grease fitting, i would put the vent on the opposite side of the bearing. Even after that i would question the effectiveness. Secondly i wouldnt want to leave those grease fittings in there. I dont know about anyone else, but i tend to go over alot of logs and rocks and smack the skid plate, and that piece hangs lower than the skid plate. If i were to do it i would try to find a bolt with the same threads, so once you are done greasing remove the fitting and install a bolt so you dont shear off the fitting. I dont know, its good to go over your bike once a year anyway. Ill keep my bearings sealed.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Swingarm Bearings

Well i pulled it all apart today.
2009 model that has seen 2 wet years and spent lots of time under water.
The pivot block came apart real easy and the bearings look fine although the bolts were slightly coroded in the sleeves.
So with that i figured the swingarm bearings should be fine also and being I am a lazy bastard, why bother pulling it all the way apart.

Good thing i am bored and pulled it all down because the swingarm bearings were shot, rusted right to the sleeves.
I ordered the Moose Racing kit (part number A28-1080) for $50, and will have it all done this week.
I guess i should pull the steering head apart and have a look there too.

Last edited by GaryC; 01-15-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: add part number
Old 01-14-2012, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you have a part number to post? would be good for future reference.

Quick Reply: Swingarm Bearings