Swingarm Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Default RE: Swingarm Bearings

Thank you Nobrakes for the great pics and how to info. Posts like this make it alot easier to know what I'm getting into when it comes time to do the work.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the nice comments - I like seeing these maintenance procedures documented with photos, so I hope you all get some use out of them too. Maybe if we all pitch in and document one or two of these procedures, we'll have covered the whole bike's maintenance schedule.

BTW, I forgot to mention it above, but be sure and also grease the middle bearing point in the photo below:

The middle bearing above is where the dogbones connect. Its seals don't come out like the other pair, instead, just push on the sleeve from one end and it will slide out and again expose a set of pretty dry needle bearings. Grease them up like the others, clean the sleeve and the seals, add a little grease and slide it back in. Wipe off any excess grease.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

OUCH, a totally displaced collarbone fracture. I once broke a shouder blade..that hurt for quite awhile, but it wasn't displaced. I hope you heal-up soon.

Thanks for the pictures. I will be working on the D-tracker from early December until mid March when the snow finally melts. This info will save alot of time.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

can some one repost the pics

Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Temporary outage with the hosting provider - they are back up and the images should be working now.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

in case any1 wants this on their HD for reference: (26mb) http://senduit.com/6c30d1
link will last 6 days.

firefox+extensions= unstopable

p.s. thanks for the awesome report with pics nobrakes.. good possibility this may be on the todo list for winter along with a pumper. i wanted to do a 331 also, but the way everything is skyrocketing in cost lately its lookin less and less likely. I actually have an estimator comin this week for an estimate on a pellet stove. we have oil heat here and its either gonna be eat or heat the house but not both the way the cost of oil is now, and its still summer!!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

How did you create that pic of the webpage jsac? What firefox add on did you use?

Old 12-30-2011, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I did this swingarm greasing today...there are many other bearings to grease than the ones posted on here. There are bearings in the lower shock mount, and in both the dog-bone connections, the main bearing of the leverage link, and the lower bolt that goes through the main leverage link.

All the bearings looked fine, as did the seals. But, the BOLTS had corrosion on them, especially the dog-bone bolts.

This is known as a must-do on KLR's. I think it should be considered a must-do on the KLX's, too. It doesn't take long by yourself...all you need is a way to jack the rear wheel off the ground, cleaner, grease, and the appropriate Torque wrench.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I have done mine twice. Over this past winter i had to replace 2 of those bearings and i needed the steering stem bearing too. I will be doing this same thing on my KLR this winter.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks dear for the gods I would like ask about 351 kit installing bec in our country I don't trust the mechanics in there I will be highly thankful If can get it from you .

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Swingarm Bearings